We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another ski-ing question.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Another ski-ing question.

Our family fell in love with Salzburg last summer, and we're considering coming back in February for a week.

We'll be with three children aged 6 to 10, and I have found a decent deal for St Wolfgang.

It appears to be quite good for beginners, convenient to Salzburg, and looks like a nice town from the photographs.

I had a quick look through the Salzburg forum, and have seen places like Zell am See recommended, and it also seems from what I have read on the forum to be convenient from Salzburg.

Also, is mid Feb a good time to plan a ski trip in Austria?

Thanks!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another ski-ing question.

February is " High Season " in Austrian ski resorts - higher prices as this is the busy season wth many schools having winter holidays -

Thus places are generally full.

St. Wofgang is not a ski resort and I personally would not recommend it . It is cheaper dure to being less desirable.

Nerset skiing and not really good or large is about 30 minutes by bus- certainly not convenient . The town very quiet in winter,

Zell a much better choice in my opinion with convenient connections to Salzburg also.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another ski-ing question.

Thank you very much - we'll look closer at Zell!

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another ski-ing question.

I'm not a skier so can't help with recommendations but Zell am See is certainly very easily reached by excellent train link from Salzburg, in an hour and a half. We've done day trips to Zell from Salzburg and had a great time. Zell has lots to offer and is beautifully situated on the shore of the lake.

There is a Zell am See forum here on TripAdvisor so you could ask questions there about accommodation, skiing, etc.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g608666-Zell_am_Se…

Have a great trip.

Liz.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another ski-ing question.

Thank you Liz, I guess there was a good reason for getting such value in the other resort:)

We'll focus now on Sell am See.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another ski-ing question.

You might like to look at Waidring, about 45mins from Salzburg airport. You can find it in the brochure for the main UK holiday company. It's ideal for beginners and experienced skiers alike. The nursery slopes are directly over the road from the hotel, you can actually watch from inside.

I don't ski, I walk whilst my companions ski and they love it. There is a mountain called the Steinplatte in the village, which has a gondola to the top. It's very popular and has snow when other resorts don't. See my review on the Hotel Waidringerhof. I was there in September and have booked independently for January. I usually visit 2-3 times per year.

I can't recommend this village highly enough!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another ski-ing question.

Rowz - thank you!

It looks very nice - I'm going to look into Waidring in more detail, but could do the job!

7. Re: Another ski-ing question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 07:17