We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice for 4 days in Salzburg....

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking advice for 4 days in Salzburg....

I am planning a solo-trip to Austria for a week in May 2009 and hope to spend 3-4 days in Vienna and Salzburg each.

1. I usually prefer booking hotels/service apartments through venere.com and will do so for this trip as well.....please do recommend the area in Salzburg that will be most suitable as a base from where I can explore the rest of the city.

2. Is it a good idea to get a bird's eye view on Day 1 on the hop-on hop-off bus and then (once I have a better idea) do things on my own, using public transportation, on the other days?

3. What day-trips can one make from Salzburg? Can these be done by oneself without relying on tour organisers?

Tripadvisor makes planning a trip simple and exciting...I am eagerly awaiting responses from destination experts.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice for 4 days in Salzburg....

1. Salzburg is a very compact city which can easily be explored by foot. Referring to the districts used by venere.com, I suggest staying in the "Mönchsberg/Altstadt (old town)" area, which is really where all the sights are, so you won't even need to take a bus, or the "Zentrum" area, from where you can reach the old town very quickly, just walking over a bridge.

2. I don't think it makes sense to take a hop-on hop-off bus to get a first impression of Salzburg. The old town is very compact and mostly pedestrianized, so that bus could not even enter. I suggest getting a map (from your hotel) and exploring the old town yourself by foot on the first day. Also, do walk up the Mönchsberg hill, from where you'll get a great view over the old town and surroundings. I think this will be a much better way to get a bird's eye view on day 1. One thing you might want to see and which you can't reach by foot is Schloss Hellbrunn, but I'd take a normal bus to get there and not the hop-on hop-off bus.

3. There are beautiful day trips into the nearby lake-district, many of which can be done by public transport, but I would think that an organized tour could make sense here as this will enable you to see more interesting places in the limited time.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking advice for 4 days in Salzburg....

Nemorino has given you excellent advice. Salzburg is so small that the sights are easily navigated. I agree that you should stay in the old town or as close as possible. Hotel Elefant; Hotel Weisse Taube; Hotel Altstadt; Hotel Goldener Hirsch are all in the old town with excellent walking access to all the sights. A Salzburg card would be a great idea for you too:

www2.salzburg.info/sehenswertes_281.htm

With just a few days there I also agree that organised tours would make life easier for you. Panoramatours do several. If the weather is good and clear a day trip to Hallstatt would be good. Details of their tours can be found here:

www.panoramatours.com/Offer.fc…

Public transport in Salzburg is frequent and efficient so if you did prefer to plan the trips yourself the tourist information centre in Mozartplatz should be able to help you. Your hotel will probably be able to give you advice too.

Liz

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking advice for 4 days in Salzburg....

If you are in Salzburg then you have to do the Sound of Music Tour. I did one through Panorama Tours and i had a great day.

There is also a day tour to the Ice Caves - Biggest Ice Caves in the world.

Salzburg is a beautiful spot - you'll have a great time no matter what you decide to do!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking advice for 4 days in Salzburg....

Thanks Nemorino....for your very prompt and comprehensive advice.

Thanks Liz....for seconding nemorino's advice and giving me more details about hotels, a Salzburg card and panoramatours

Thanks MolloKobi

I have heard and read so much about Salzburg....am really looking forward to being there soon!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking advice for 4 days in Salzburg....

We personally use public transport instead of organized tours as it is very easy to use buses and trains in this area.

We took the bus to Hellbrunn one day; to St. Gilgen another and from there the ferry to St. Wolfgangsee. Then one morning we headed to Konigsee by bus and enjoyed a beautiful boat ride.

We like to be on our own time, not on someone's schedule so this works better for us.

I prefer to stay across the river from the Altstadt. Hotel Stadtkrug is a nice 3 star on a pedestrian only street that is quite charming. We like the Sheraton the best but it is more expensive.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking advice for 4 days in Salzburg....

Thanks caviargal...all your suggestions sound great....will look into the options.

7. Re: Seeking advice for 4 days in Salzburg....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 22:17