We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Salzburg to Innsbruck?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Salzburg to Innsbruck?

I am going to spend 2 nights in Salzburg in the first week of May. Will definitely go for the sound of music tour that I believe panorama tours does a fantastic job of. What else in particular (beside exploring the old town) must I not miss out on while in salzburg?

Am looking forward to advice from Destination Experts about the possibility of making a day trip to Innsbruck (train, journey time, things to do) possibly on a Sunday.

I'm not interested in skiing.....but am excited about scenic views, culture, local sights and sounds etc.

Is the Swarovski museum worth a visit? Have seen mixed reviews about it and can't make up my mind.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Salzburg to Innsbruck?

Hellbrunn Castle, Hohensalzburg Fortress, Monchsberg elevator (for the view from top)and Mozart's houses seem to be the places of tourist interest mentioned in some of the posts on this forum. Can all these be managed in a day? I will be staying at the NH Salzburg, which I believe is close to the Mirabell gardens.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Salzburg to Innsbruck?

Hellbrunn Castle, Hohensalzburg Fortress, Monchsberg elevator (for the view from top)and Mozart's houses seem to be the places of tourist interest mentioned in some of the posts on this forum. Can all these be managed in a day? I will be staying at the NH Salzburg, which I believe is close to the Mirabell gardens.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Salzburg to Innsbruck?

Hello, SonaG,

Yes you would be able to manage all those sights in one day. It would give you a little more time if you went to Hellbrunn by taxi rather than by bus. It will only be about fifteen minutes by taxi.

The fortress is the one sight you mustn't miss.

I know the people on the Innsbruck forum will hate me for this but I really don't recommend a day in Innsbruck. While the mountains surrounding it are dramatic the town itself is not really very attractive. Salzburg is much prettier. We spent a day in Innsbruck last year and it was the only day of our holiday we didn't enjoy. The town was quite scruffy; there was lots of building work going on. Even the people looked depressed :-)

Scenic views can be seen all around Salzburg. A Panoramatours visit to Hallstatt would give you a lovely day out (if the weather is clear).

I'm sorry I can't advise you about the Swarovski museum as I have never been.

Liz.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Salzburg to Innsbruck?

thanks liz.....i was thinking about innsbruck because people heard me talk about my plans to visit salzburg and vienna and wondered why i didn't have innsbruck on my wishlist....made me wonder if i was making a mistake by not planning a trip there...and whether it would be worth at least doing a daytrip to.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Salzburg to Innsbruck?

I agree with LizR on her advise to stick to Salzburg and environs.

If you have an extra half day, take the 1 hour train ride from Salzburg to Prien, and from there walk, ride the bus or take the old steam train to Gstaad (4km)at the shores of the Chiemsee, Germany's second largest lake. There, take the boat to the Herreninsel(Island) and visit King Ludwig II palace in a beautiful setting. On your return to Gstaad, get off and skip a boat for the Fraueninsel, another pretty island .

You can travel to Prien for soemthing like EUR 8 on the Bayernkarte. For details on trains check wwww.bahn.de. For the Bayernkarte see "Search" above.

6. Re: Day trip from Salzburg to Innsbruck?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 05:24