We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luge course

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Luge course

We will be in Salzburg in about 2 weeks, and I saw on the Rick Steves show on Salzburg/Hallstatt a luge course. Does anyone know where this is?

Thanks.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luge course

There is one near Hallein, south of Salzburg, at Bad Durrnberg:

www.duerrnberg.at/index.php…

Liz.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,894 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luge course

This intriqued me so I Googled around a bit If you Google luge hallstatt you will get an excerpt from Rick Steves' book on this with a few pictures. To me, it looks like an alpine slide you would find at many resorts here in the USA, although sounds pretty long.

There is another more realistic option to go up to the bobsled/luge track in Berchtesgaden, Germany, which is just a half hour or so outside of Salzburg. There you can see the track used for World Cup and World Championship competition.

Have fun.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luge course

The german name for this type of luge (summer) is rodelbahn. You might try googling rodelbahn in Salzburg. I haven't done on in Austia, but they are a blast. The ones I have done are on a metal track with a luge type sled you sit upright on. Kids and adults loved it!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luge course

Thank you everyone. I have googled and found a few different ones. According to Rick Steves book he thinks the one in Reutte, Austria is the best. Any feedback?

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luge course

There is also one at Sankt Johann, on the way to Kitzbuhel. My adult son and a friend went on it a couple of summers ago and thought it was great!

6. Re: Luge course

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 05:41