We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

Dorset
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

We are visiting Salzburg in October for 4 days. Any suggestions as to what weather to expect and what is the Sound of Music tour like? Would also like to visit Hitler's Eagles Nest. Also, are there any festivals on during October? Any recommendations of where to stay (somewhere central and clean, up to £80 per night. Thanks.

Panorama Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours
Edelweiss Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

Hello, the weather is a complete lottery and impossible to predict. We were there in June last year and this year. Glorious sun last year - worst rain for fifty years this year. I would take something waterproof just in case.

I haven't been on the SOM tour but those who do seem to enjoy it very much. It gives you the chance to get out of the city and see the Salzkammergut lake region. Panoramatours is one of the most popular.

The Eagle's Nest opening season if from mid May to the end of October. If weather conditions make the road unsafe it may close early so it's a good idea to check first. There is an excellent tour which runs from Berchtesgaden and also a Panoramatours trip from Salzburg.

eagles-nest-tours.com/EN/…

http://www.panoramatours.com/salzburg-Kehlsteinhaus-%2F-Eagle's-Nest-Tour.aspx

If you put the dates of your holiday into this website it will give you all kinds of information for your stay in the city:

http://www.salzburg.info/en/

Here are some central hotels:

Hotel Weisse Taube

www.weissetaube.at/index.php…

Hotel Elefant

http://www.elefant.at/

Hotel Zur Goldene Ente:

http://www.ente.at/

Hotel Altstadt:

www.radissonsas.com/servlet/ContentServer…

You can also check out hotels on the info site above.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

Hi,

As you know it's impossible to predict weather. That said, our experiences in the area in October '01, '03, '05 and '07 have been generally very nice... meaning daytime temps about 60 to 70 and nightime and early morning temps in the mid 40's. So far we've experienced little in the way of rainy days on our trips during this time but always be prepared.

Paul

austria
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

Agree with inability to predict weather.

That said, I often go to Salzburg and Tirol in late September or early October to vist the fests when the cows come back to the towns after summer pasture.

I have never encountered bad weather at those times. Maybe lucky or the cows and their herders know the weather better tham most.

Later in October can produce anything.

Dorset
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

Thanks LizR for this very useful information. We are really looking forward to our trip now! If there are any restaurants you have particularly enjoyed or if there is anything of interest you would recommend, please let me know. Thanks again! Millikins.

Dorset
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

Thanks Pja60 for the response. Yes I know the weather is a lottery! If you have any recommendations of places to visit, things to see in Salzburg, please let me know. Thanks again. Millikins

Dorset
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

Thanks BrunoAustria! Really looking forward to seeing the cows coming home! Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. We are really looking forward to seeing beautiful Austria. Millikins

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

Hi,

Do go up to Hohensalzburg Fortress. The views overlooking Salzburg are wonderful. The old town of Salzburg is beautiful, pretty compact and very easy to walk around and see the churches, etc.

In the area with Salzburg as a base...

In the Berchtesgaden area (less than 30 min. away):

Old town of Berchtesgaden itself is nice

Eagles Nest

Jennerbahn (cable car)

Konigsee boat trip (gorgeous alpine lake)

Bad Reichenhall is a nice old town 20 min. away

"Mad" King Ludwig's amazing Neues Schloss (Herrenchiemsee) is an hour away.

Hallstatt is about 1:30 away

Zell am See is beautiful and 1:30 away

We have some pic's at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/travel15.html

Paul

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

Paul has given you some great advice here. I agree the fortress is unmissable and the Jenner cable car (at Konigsee) is a nice trip to do on a clear day. Konigsee is a lovely lake but the boat trip is a bit long (about two hours) if you're short of time.

The Salzkammergut lakes are lovely and can be reached in half an hour by car or a bit longer by bus (No. 150).

There are very many restaurants in the city varying in price. The Stieglkeller, just below the fortress, is a great place as the windows look out over the rooftops and domes of the city. The dining rooms are huge and traditional. There is a terrace too but in October it might not be the weather for the terrace. The entrance to the restaurant is a few yards along from the funicular station which takes you up to the fortress.

In Altermarkt (actually on Judengasse) is Da Pippo. This is an Italian restaurant which is reasonable and has nice (first floor) views over the square. This is non-smoking entirely.

At the other end of Judengasse is Saran Essbar, again non-smoking but much pricier than Da Pippo. We had a great pasta meal in Saran though and I'd go again. It's tiny so places are limited. Stiftskeller St Peter, against the rock of the Monchsberg, is the oldest eaterie in Europe, dating from 803. There are various rooms to eat there. I think it's expensive but haven't eaten there myself yet. It's interesting to go into the rocky courtyard for a drink even if you don't have a meal. You could combine this with a visit to St Peter's cemetery, right next door. The enclosed porticoes there were the inspiration for a scene in The Sound of Music. St Peter's church is also next door and a very elaborate Baroque church inside.

England
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

If your a fan of the Sound of Music, then I can recommend the Panorama Tours trip. You see the key locations including The 16 going on 17 Gazebo and Mondsee Cathedral where the wedding took place.

Our tour guide was great and really injected humour into the trip.

We were picked up by minibus outside our hotel and taken to the coach pick up point.

There are other locations that you can visit aside from the tour including Nonberg Abbey. And if you are a huge fan, a trip down the 'I Have Confidence' alley.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit to Salzburg early October 2009

If you are in to aircraft and F1 racing cars, you might be interested in visiting Hangar 7. This is the Red Bull museum and it right by the airport. It's free entry and has a lovely coffee bar and a restaurant. The washrooms are amazing and even have an interactive instruction console! You coulld visit here for between 30mins or an hour. It's not very big but is very interesting. Check out the Hangar 7 web site for more info.

Have a lovely holiday!