We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Back To Salzburg Hauptbanhof

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
448 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Back To Salzburg Hauptbanhof

Hello! We are spending one day (wish it could be more) in Salzburg and will be having dinner (not the Concert) at Stiftskellr St. Peter. on Sunday evening (December 20). We must catch an 8:12 PM train back to Munich from the Hauptbanhof. Could someone please tell us:

(1) How long a walk would it be to the train station?

(2) Is there any public transportation (we have the Bayern Ticket so can use Salburg public transit)

We'd like to make sure we get back in time but don't want to waste too much time sitting in train station.

Thanks very much!

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Back To Salzburg Hauptbanhof

Hello,

I hope you have a lovely day in Salzburg. It's going to be cold so bring warm clothes :-)

You could walk back to the station from St Peters. I think it would take about half an hour. You would walk to the river, cross over the Makartsteg bridge and straight ahead through Makartplatz and turn left down Rainerstrasse. However, I think a taxi would be better after your day sightseeing and then eating dinner. It would only take about ten minutes by taxi and would be a nice way to round off the day. If you wanted to go by bus you could cross the river as I said above and catch a bus on Rainerstrasse heading back to the station. Not sure what number you'd need but many buses go down that road on their way to the bus station which is right outside the train station.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Back To Salzburg Hauptbanhof

Mind: the last train on Dec. 20 seems to be at 21:12, not 20:12, just check the timetable: http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en

You can also enter an any address in Austria and it will show you the way.

For public transport, you can take a bus to the Hauptbahnhof, distance to the bus stop is about 700 metres, time you will need: 9 minutes (what the door-to-door timetable-planner says).

You cross river Salzach on the Mozartsteg (pedestrian bridge) and catch a bus at the stop "Mozartsteg" (Imbergstraße) to the railway station, lines 3,5 and 25 will take you there.

One important information: the Bayernticket IS NOT VALID outside of Bavaria. You can use it on the (RB or RE) train from Bavaria to "Salzburg Hauptbahnhof" as this is the last stop of german railways. You CAN NOT use it on public transport in Salzburg. Tickets from the bus driver or ticket machine.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
448 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Back To Salzburg Hauptbanhof

Thank you for great advice!

I have a question about train from Munich to Salzburg and back. When I first checked the fares (a number of weeks ago), the Bayern Ticket for 29 Euros was available for Sunday . The same trains now show a fare of 37 Euros for a Schloss-Woehenende Tocket. The extra Euros don't bother me but is this a different ticket with different rules? Has the Bayern ticket been discontinued for that day? Any advice/info appreciated.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
448 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Back To Salzburg Hauptbanhof

Please disregard my reply above. I forgot to enter local train option. The Bayern Ticket for 28 Euros (remakable bargain) is, indeed, available. Sorry for the inconvenience.

5. Re: Getting Back To Salzburg Hauptbanhof

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2010, 05:24