We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip with teenage sons

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
day trip with teenage sons

My family would like to take a day trip from Munich to Salzburg. What sights or activities would appeal most to 19 and 16 year old boys? Our trip consists of 6 days in England and 4 in Munich so they will probably have seen enough castles by then. Would the salt mines be a good choice or are they better for younger children? Also, do any of them have size/height restrictions for the slide or any other part of the tour?

Thanks!!

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip with teenage sons

If it's a nice clear day you could go to the top of the Untersberg on the cable car. Please see my reply to the poster paro55 who's post is also about a day trip to Salzburg.

The Berchtesgaden (Salzbergwerk) salt mine would be the closest. You can catch the bus from the train station and get off at the salt mine. The bus no. is 840 and takes about forty minutes to get to the mine. I haven't made the tour of the salt mine so I don't know about height restrictions but I don't think it's a problem as adults and children enjoy this excursion every day.

Here is the bus timetable to the salt mine. You get on at Salzburg Hauptbahnhof and get off at Berchtesgaden Salzbergwerk:

salzburg-ag.at/fileadmin/…Linie840.pdf

Here is the website for the salt mine:

salzzeitreise.de/en/visitor-information.html

Nor Cal
Level Contributor
132 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip with teenage sons

We loved the salt mines! Out of the nine days we stayed in Germany/Austria the salt mines were the highlight of our trip. The cable car mentioned in the above post is well worth the visitl. If you do decide to do the cable car I would purchase the salzburg city pass - the cable car is included in the price as well as a bunch of other attractions.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip with teenage sons

Thanks!! We are considering renting a car for a couple days. Is it easy enough to drive there on our own?

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip with teenage sons

Even better. Lots of parking at the Untersberg cable car station and the salt mine is just further along the same road. Wonderful views all the way too. If you've any time to spare you could drive into Berchtesgaden and go left at the roundabout to Konigsee. Loads of parking and you can walk or take a boat trip. There's also another cable car to the top of the Jenner. Having a car makes everything more interesting as you can go where the fancy takes you.

5. Re: day trip with teenage sons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2010, 06:20