We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sound of Music Tour?

pune
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Sound of Music Tour?

Am going to be in Salzburg for one or two nights in April. Our first visit. We are 5 of us - 3 adults and 2 kids (12 and 14)

We are very keen to go on the Sound of Music Trail.

Can the experts guide me on if I should book the tour online (USD 50.38) or do it on our own which may be cheaper?

What is the range of entrance tickets for the tour? Is it very far from train stops that may make it necessary to take their coach tours?

Would appreciate replies. Thanks so much !!

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sound of Music Tour?

Hello,

Salzburg old town is tiny - REALLY tiny. You can see the Sound of Music sights in the city very easily yourself, on foot. In fact you can linger and enjoy the sights for longer when you're not on a tour. What the organised tours do, though, is take you out into the Salzkammergut lake area so if it's a nice day you'd see some glorious countryside along the way. Having said that you can also see Salzkammergut by local bus from Salzburg which you catch from Mirabelplatz (Schloss side of the road).

Here is some information I gave to another tourist some time ago but which might be helpful to you:

Sound of Music sights in the city

Hello, here are the SOM sights in Salzburg that you can see on foot in the city, and some others very close by:

If you are arriving by train the first Sound of Music sight you come to is Mirabelgarten. You could walk here from the station or take a bus. At Mirbelgarten there is the hedge “tunnel” that Maria and the children run through. There is the pond and fountain they dance around and also the set of steps where they sing the finale of “Do-re-mi.” From Mirabel you can walk out into Makartplatz, turn right past the Landestheater and then cross the river by the Makartsteg footbridge. This will take you into the old city. If you have a city map just head for Domplatz (cathedral square) or Residenzplatz. In Residenzplatz there is the horse fountain dating from the 17th century. When Maria leaves the abbey she dips her hand into this fountain on her way to the bus.

Much artistic licence is taken during these scenes. Maria would be doubling back on herself and taking a most strange route to the bus if the scenes are to be believed. But they were filmed for the lovely views and while it’s a little confusing for fans of the film, you do see some lovely parts of town.

In the do-re-mi scenes they ride through Mozartplatz in a horse and carriage. The shops that they pass have changed very little. Mozartplatz is right next door to Residenzplatz so you can walk to it very quickly.

The inspiration for the scene where the family hide behind grave stones is St Peter’s Cemetery. The actual film set was in a studio but at St Peter’s you can see the tall grave stones enclosed behind wrought iron gates. This is a lovely spot to visit. The cemetery is approached from a variety of ways. You can go in from Kapitelplatz, next to the cathedral and walk through. If you go in this way and walk right through to St Peter’s church (very elaborate and worth a visit) you are almost at the Rock Riding School which is the scene for the concert at the end of SOM when the family first escape. If you’re unsure where it is just ask directions. Everyone is very helpful. I have not been inside the Rock Riding School myself so can’t say too much about it. Just beyond it is the Horse Pond in Karajanplatz. The pond is seen in the film but I can’t remember precisely at which point.

If you carry along past Karajanplatz you come to the Monchsberg lift. You can take the lift to the museum of modern art. Just outside the doors of the museum is a fabulous view of the city. It is at this point (formerly known as The Winkler Steps because of the Café Winkler that once stood there) that Maria and the children first put words to the song Do-re-mi. You could then walk along the Monchsberg towards the fortress. The fortress path is signposted as is the path which leads to Nonnberg Abbey. You follow the path up to the abbey and you come to the little abbey church. In the film Maria walks out into the garden of the church when she first leaves the abbey (guitar in hand). She then walks out of the gates (bit of artistic licence here too). You can go through these gates into the church. The gates are also the spot where the children talk to the nuns when they come to find Maria.

A couple of the city SOM sights are a little way out of the city. Frohnburg, the house at which Maria arrives when she gets off the bus, is situated on the Hellbrunner Allee. It’s a good walk out of the city along a lovely pedestrianised path. Although the house is nice to see you cannot go inside and sometimes there are cars parked in front, spoiling the image somewhat. In the film it appears as though only one house is used but in fact the house with the lake behind it is Schloss Leopoldskron. This again is just outside the city and is a hotel and events venue. You could get there by bus or taxi for a look but you can actually see it from the southern walls of the fortress if you can’t spare the time to go to it.

The famous gazebo, where Rolf and Liesl dance and sing “Sixteen going on Seventeen) is at Schloss Hellbrunn. You are not allowed inside it and to be honest it’s a bit of a disappointment. If you’re visiting Hellbrunn anyway then you can take a quick look and a photo, but of all the things to see at Hellbrunn that is probably the least interesting.

Other incidental sights are the Mozartsteg footbridge across the river which Maria and the children cross, they also dance along the river bank with the city viewed behind them. This footbridge can be reached by turning left out of Mozartplatz and walking to the river.

As I said before the old city itself is tiny so you could see all the sights within it very easily in a day.

The sights that you miss, by not going on the tour, are the wedding church at Mondsee and some places that feature in the opening credits of the film. With only one day in Salzburg I think you would regret taking the tour and missing the chance to wander the lovely streets in town.

A SOM sight that most people (except for die-hard fans of the film) don’t get to see is the Do-re-mi meadow. This is the scene where Maria first teaches the children to sing. The meadow is situated above Werfen, a little town about twenty-five miles south of Salzburg. I have seen it because you can view it from the ice caves at Eisriesenwelt (across the valley) but so far I haven’t visited it. I think you have to be very enthusiastic about the film to walk right up the hillside and we’ve always had lots of other stuff to see.

Liz.

pune
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sound of Music Tour?

Thank you LIZ.. I'm DEFINITELY going to print this out and carry it with me. I'm all for wandering about on my own. Great advice.

Just wanted a little more info...any recommendations on hotels that may be central to all the places we want to walk around?

What about the BEST WESTERN Parkhotel Salzburg in terms of convenience to what we want to do?

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sound of Music Tour?

Hello, this hotel is a good long way from the old town and close to the train station which is not the best part of town. Not an area I'd ever choose, unfortunately. I would look for hotels in the Altstadt or just over the river as close to the Altstadt as you can. Hotel Weisse Taube, in the old town, always gets good reviews. It's in a great position, below the fortress, and although it's central the road is a little quieter.

www.weissetaube.at/index.php…

Other's may have good recommendations too.

pune
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sound of Music Tour?

I'm going as per the plan Liz has given.

Just a Question here : Do we buy seperate tickets at each place. Or should we just go with the Salzburg Card that allows us access to all the sights?

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sound of Music Tour?

The SOM locations in the town are free for all to see so no tickets required. The Salzburg card gives you free entry to all tourist attractions and free travel on the city buses so that would be a good option to go for if you want to see the fortress, Mozart houses, etc. If you want to go up onto the Monchsberg to see the "Winkler" steps (Do-Re-Mi) you can walk up there from the city but the quickest way is to take the Monchsberg lift (near the painted horse pond) up to the museum of modern art. The steps and the view are just outside their doors. The Salzburg card will get you a free ride up there. Across the river there is no charge to go into Mirabelgarten.

Edited: 06 April 2011, 09:04
pune
Level Contributor
186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sound of Music Tour?

Thanks Liz.

I don't think in that case it makes sense to buy the Salzburg card as we are there for just a day. We are staying at Crowne Plaza The Pitter.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sound of Music Tour?

This is a brilliant walk, thanks..

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sound of Music Tour?

So glad it was useful :-)

9. Re: Sound of Music Tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 11:17