We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grossglockner and schaffberg day trips, also St wolfgang and

Mumbai
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
grossglockner and schaffberg day trips, also St wolfgang and

Our family of 3 (with a 9 year old who enjoys train rides) are planning on a 4 night stay in salzburg

other than the city tour, we r interested in excursions.

my hubby is keen on Grosglockner, what is the best way to do this? do we rent a car ? how long does it take?

do u recommend the schafberg train ride? \

I personally want to see hallstatt and st wolfgang.

Can we manage all these ?

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grossglockner and schaffberg day trips, also St wolfgang and

With a four night stay you could do all of this but I highly recommend you hire a car for the whole time. The Grossglockner is a full day's trip from Salzburg and quite tiring but the car makes it so much easier. You could explore the Salzkammergut region with a car and take in Halstatt; Bad Ischl; St Wolfgang and other places that take your fancy along the way. I went on the Schaffberg railway last month and you can see my trip report here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190441-i391-k4611…

There is a car park at the side of the tiny train station.

There is a lot to do in the Salzkammergut region, lots of cable car rides and lovely drives through the valleys and mountains.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grossglockner and schaffberg day trips, also St wolfgang and

Rent a car for the Grossglockner--its a wonderful drive. We took 5 hours just on the road itself late last month--we made a lot of stops.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grossglockner and schaffberg day trips, also St wolfgang and

Liz R - ur trip report sounds wunderful. also the places u mentioned sound beautiful , we really want to do this, but are afraid that rains may spoil the views.

What do u suugest we do? Is it possible that while it rains in Salzburg, there might be no rains in Halstatt?

RufusTFirefly- thanks for your info, too

Will our plan for Grossglockner also be affected by rains?

Liz R, rufus your suggestions will be appreciated.

Many thanks!!

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grossglockner and schaffberg day trips, also St wolfgang and

I'm so sorry but it's impossible to predict the weather in Austria. The landscape of the Alps makes the weather changeable. It can be nice in Hallstatt while raining in Salzburg and the way to find out is to ask your hotel receptionist to telephone a business in Hallstatt to find out before you go.

The problem with places like the Schafberg and other mountain excursions is that low cloud spoils the view. But sometime it can rain from higher clouds and you can still see the view.

The Grossglockner road is very high so sometimes you can be above the clouds. That can make for a very interesting view. But on the other hand it may not rain at all while you're there. It's a bit like the lottery.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grossglockner and schaffberg day trips, also St wolfgang and

LizR , ur the best!!!. thanks for the prompt response and u dont have to be sorry at all!!

Like u said, its a gamble, even if it rains we'll try our luck and see if we do the drive if wether is good in lake district else we'll hop around town with our rain gear :)

either ways we r very eager to experience Austria !!!

Many thanks

homemaker74

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
572 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grossglockner and schaffberg day trips, also St wolfgang and

I'm planning to drive from Salzburg to Lienz via the Felbertauernstrasse and then north along the Grossglockner from Heiligenblut. However, I'm thinking whether to end the day in Innsbruck or head back to Salzburg. Any suggestions - I heard there's less to see in Innsbruck vs. Salzburg but am wondering if the difference will be huge if I drive from the north end of the Grossglockner @ Bruck to Salzburg or Innsbruck.

I have 3 days in Austria. Day 1 will be Salzburg, day 2 will be the drive, and day 3 is either Innsbruck or back to Salzburg for a more leisurely day before flying out of Munich.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grossglockner and schaffberg day trips, also St wolfgang and

There are weather reports for the Grossglockner Highway on line. You can adjust your schedule according to the weather reports. We delayed our Highway drive by one day because of the weather report, and it worked fine.

It's an easy area to change your plans on short notice as there are so many easy to reach alternative sights and experiences within an easy drive.

8. Re: grossglockner and schaffberg day trips, also St wolfgang and

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 04:17