We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

West Hollywood...
10 posts
Save Topic
Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

Hi fellow travelers, I'll be visiting Salzburg on Friday (December 23) and wish to take a day trip to St.Gilgen, Strobl and St. Wolfgang to check out the villages and Christmas markets there. I've found some information in the Tripadvisor forum and other sites, but they are all very general.

Has anyone been there before and could help me with specifics, like which bus to take from Salzburg? Which village should I visit first? How to get from one village to another? Are the villages big or small? Are the bus stations all within walking distance to and from the markets? I heard one can take boat from one village to another. Do the boats run on Friday (December 23), the day of my visit? Thanks so much!

Edited: 20 September 2011, 04:42
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

Much discussion on this forum regarding this subject - the search box allows easy access for thid

The best weebsite for good information - maps opening hours sights etc.

is

www.wolfgangseer-advent.at

and www.wolfgangsee.at

available in english too.

THis area is an easy bus ride using the line # 150

journey begins at the bus station by the train station in Salzburg

the first village you come to is St. Gilgen - the second is the smaller village Strobl.

Easy to start in At. Gilgen - easy walk everywhere - then perhaps a boat to St. Wolfgang - ending in Strobl and returning to Salzburg by bus

The boat is a nice way to connect the villages - schedule will be found on the Advent website. Yes boat will run on this date.

St. Gilgen and Strobl are both small - easily walked

St. Wolfgang larger but festive activities are located in a relatively small area.

A bus also runs from Strobl to St. Wolfgang

Note that it will become dark about 4:30 no reason to leve - to me the visit is the nicest as the sun leaves and all lights can be seen.

Many dining choices midday and evening-

Makes a great visit with mountain scenery too.

Perhaps some snow above on the mountains-

Probably none by the lake

Edited: 20 September 2011, 08:00
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

Further to Verticals excellent information.

Wrap up warm. Take plenty of layers of clothing, gloves & hat.

Can be very cold near the lakes. If windy the wind chill coming off the lakes makes it even colder.

To warm up try the apple fritters and Gluewien with a shot of schnapps. Or stand next the little fires they have near the huts.

It's a magical time of the year

Staff

West Hollywood...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

Thanks so much, Vertical and Staff. I'm so looking forward to the trip. What I'm confused about is once I take the 150 Bus from Salzburg to St. Gilgen, which stop do I get off? I'm sure there are many stops in St. Gilgen.

Boat rides would be great, but I checked the boat schedule on http://www.wolfgangseer-advent.at. According to the schedule, the boat doesn't operate on December 23. Am I missing something?

If I have to take a bus back to Salzburg, which village (St. Gilgen, Strobl or St. Wolfgang) would I take the bus from? Also, as I'm assuming there are many bus stops in each of these villages, which stop would I catch the bus from?

I'm trying to get specific answers because I only have 1/2 day in the area and don't want to waste time getting lost and running around. Thanks sooooo much for your guidance.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

For the bus schedule look here

www.postbus.at

while the schedules change yearly in the middle of December - the current one will be a good guide - usually few if any changes .

Remember that these places are villages with a relatively small central area - and are easily walked in a few minutes..

Bus #150 has several stops in the area of St. Gilgen - this the first village on this route by Wolfgangsee.

The bus follows the main road # 158 down a long hill as you come to the village - several stops in the hill area( perhaps 1 minute apart ) as several apartment complexes there.

Most probably the best stop for you will be Raiffeisenplatz- then a short walk to the Market area - hard to miss as this will be in village center - this as mentioned compact- if any doubts just walk downhill to the Lake .

Strobl is just 5- 10 minutes by the same bus route # 150 from Sankt Gilgen

schedule on the site above .

Most probably the best stop is Busbahnhof/Bahnstrasse

Strobl is smaller than Sankt Gilgen so again little way to become lost.

For the return to Salzburg just return to the area where you first arrived - return bus stop will be there or across the street.

The advent website given above will have maps of the Advent Market areas in the villages to assist you.

Note that some will have locations of " Bus Parking " these for the many tour buses that arrive here.

Surprised no boats running -

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

Hi

You can check exact routes and stops by using SCOTTY Route planner at

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en

It covers trains, buses and boats on St Wolfgang.

Note timetable is only valid up to 10th December 2011. Don't normally change to much but best to double check when the new timetable is out.

You can show all stops or even open a map and see the route.

At St Gilgen when coming from Salzburg the bus does a 180 turn and pulls into the "Busbahnhof". That is the stop to get off at.

In Strobl 150 Stops at the Busbahnhof and this where you change to the 546 for Wolfgang.

St Wolfgang Advent

I thought the Advent Markets finished on the last Sunday in December, which this year is the 18th. The boat timetable shows Thu - Sundays only from 18th November - 18th December. I have been on the 23rd before and the markets were closed.

The new year market normally starts around about the 27th December.

Edited: 21 September 2011, 08:44
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

According to web site

Advent (Christmas) Market Times 2011:

Opening weekend: Friday 18th – Sunday 20st November, 2011

1. Weekend: Thursday 24th - Sunday 27th November, 2011

2. Weekend: Thursday 1th - Sunday 4th December, 2011

3. Weekend: Thursday 8th - Sunday 11th December, 2011

4. Weekend: Thursday 15th - Sunday 18th December, 2011

So that may explain the boat timetable stopping on the 18th.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

No idea what the difference between an Advent and Christmas Market is but

Christmas and New Year Market Times:

St. Gilgen, Strobl and St. Wolfgang: 12 noon – 6pm daily.

The Christmas and New Year Markets are open daily from Tuesday 20th - Friday 23th December 2011 and Monday 25th - Saturday 31st December, 2011.

So looks like there is a Christmas market on the 23rd.

West Hollywood...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

Thank you so much! The Scotty website is very helpful! It's a shame that the boat won't be running on December 23rd. That would have been a wonderful experience I'm sure. Thanks! I'm looking forward to my trip!

Casuarina
Level Contributor
344 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

The boats are running on the "Christmas" market days as well as the "advent" market days. There is a separate timetable that I found on the Wolfgangsee Schifffahrt website. I will put a link to it but if that does not work, go to schedule/prices, navigation, Christmas timetable (as opposed to advent timetable) schafbergbahn.at/images/stories/fahrplanundp…

I used google translate to read the website in English.

Casuarina
Level Contributor
344 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salzburg to St.Gilgen, Strobl, St. Wolfgang

We will be going to the markets on December 26th. I see on the Scotty website that the last bus back to Salzburg leaves Strobl at 18.45 and St Gilgen at 19.05. The second last bus leaves St Gilgen at 17.05. Does that mean their will be hundreds of people all trying to get on the last bus?