We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
471 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

I know there was a similar post about this recently, but we are thinking of a day trip from Sazburg to Hallstat on our upcoming trip. We would travel by train. I would like to see the five fingers lookout during this daytrip as well. Is it doable in the same day? Can you get a boat from Hallstat to Obertraun? What are the logistics of doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,780 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

Hallstatt and 5-Fingers outlook can be done in the same day but you need to leave Salzburg early. It is basically possible to take the ferry from Hallstatt to Obertraun. But the ropeway base station is not where the boat lands. So I'd take the bus from Hallstatt directly to the ropeway base station. Timetables can be found on www.oebb.at

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

A hire car for the day would make all of this much easier. We had a glorious trip to the Five Fingers in the summer, unhindered by bus/train/boat timetables. It's an easy drive down from Salzburg.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

LizR - may I ask which company you used to hire a car? And did you arrange this before you arrived in Salzburg or when you got there?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

If we are taking boat on lake hallstat ...till obertraun ...one way ...Is there any bus route from obertraun or train route from obertraun to get back to salzburg .....I want to make sure whether I should buy one way or return ticket ....

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,780 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

There is only one train line in the Salzkammergut. Obertraun is just one or two stops beyond Hallstatt (if coming from Attnang-Puchheim). Attnang-Puchheim is the station where you can change to/from the Salzburg trains. This train line also goes through Bad Ischl where regional bus 150 to/from Salzburg stops.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

Thanks Mikey ...I hope that I will get proper bus map or train map from tourist office ....and is there any way that I can go to hallstat from st wolfhgang ??

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

and for this 5 fingers look out , I have to get down at obertraun for ropeway station ....(coming from attnag pucheim ) and attnag pucheim seems closer to salzburg only so will take that route only ....

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,780 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

Download GOOGLE Earth! With this software you can see train lines (thin black lines) as well as bus stops. And I already gave you a link to a rail map! You can travel between St. Wolfgand and Hallstatt by bus and rail (transfer in Bad Ischl). Please, please use the trip planner of ÖBB (www.oebb.at) which shows all means of transport. You would then see how to get from St. Wolfgang to Hallstatt.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

Thanks Mikey for all information once again ..You are such a nice person ...I have been using www.oebb.at ....Anyways ...sometimes get confused a lot ...Why am asking because I need to make sure where to make trains coneccetions and bus connections ..cos for trains will be covered in austria pass but for bus , have to pay extra...am really sorry for bothering you .....

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hallstat and five fingers.....by boat?

Is there any ticket for 5 fingers look out viewing platform ...not able to find it ....