We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Salzburg

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Salzburg

We are planning at trip in June this year and cant seem to find any information on best way to travel from Venice to Salzburg.

Any ideas would be much appriecated.

Thanks

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Salzburg

"Best way"??

The Germans/Austrians are responsible for all Intercity cross-border services from Italy to Austria.

By train

There are a couple of routes operated by the German www.bahn.de and Austrian www.oebb.at National rail requiring only 1 change.

Austrians - This route the quicker one (~ 6h30)

www.oebb.at operate a direct coach service from Venice to Villach. At Villach you can get a direct train to Salzburg

You can book online at www.oebb.at

Normal price €49. YOu must book in advance for the bus service as it requires compulsory seat booking (obviousl y coach has limited seats so passengers limited)

Germans/Austrians

The Germans operate a direct service from Venice to Innsbruck (in fact the Munich train). You can get a direct train from Innsbruck to Salzburg (~ 7h30)

Normal price form €49 - 83

You can also book this on www.oebb.at

The better option for choice is the Venice-Villach coach option as there are a number of services daily.

There is only 1 direct daytime service to Innsbruck from Venice - all others require changes in Verona

For either ticket you can get discounts by booking well in advance. You can book up to 92 days in advance.

The same tickets above are currently available for €29 on advance booking..

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Salzburg

Please also use the search fuction of the forum as advice has been given many many times!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Salzburg

Could anyone please advise me on how to use the www.oebb.at website to book a direct coach service from Venice to Villach. At Villach you can get a direct train to Salzburg.

Having some trouble working the website.

Much appriecated.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Salzburg

You can also book a ticket for the entire journey from Venice to Salzburg.

> Switch to the English Version

> Type in your travel info (from: Venezia to: Salzburg) + date + SEARCH CON.

> CLICK ticket and prices and then any connection

> Take any fare (it does not matter at this stage)

> You now get to the main reservation site

> Check whether your travel date is still correct and define number of travelers as well as payment method

> NOW look for your desired connection and select it!

> Select a seat reservation and fill in the required data

> complete booking

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Salzburg

Thankyou very much for that detailed info =)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Salzburg

Is it wise to book for the serivce before i go are should i just wait till i get there?

Kind regards

Adelaide
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Salzburg

I'm taking this trip in August (Venice to Villach on the bus and then by train to Salzburg) and we've pre-paid and pre-booked. Was slightly more expensive to book it through our travel agent but given we are going during a very busy time and have to travel on that particular day I wanted some peace of mind (we booked it as part of our 3 country, 4 day Eurail pass).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Salzburg

Yes I think I will pre book for piece of mind ad well just hope I book the right service!

Thankyou for your help!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice to Salzburg

Im still having trouble working this website outwww.obee.at. I have gotten to the final stage of making a booking and wanted to check a few things( make sure i was using the right stations) to make sure i was booking the right service so i got out of it then when i went in to try again using the same information the price as gone up from 58 euro to 120 euro?

Can someone tell me why?

I now cannot book another ticket at that time i needed the next time is in the after noon and thats to late.

Should i just wait till i get there to sort it out?

Very confused traveller.

Kind regards

Edited: 12 May 2012, 01:50
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice to Salzburg

Whopps i ment www.oebb.at