We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Salzburg in may

chennai
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Salzburg in may

We will be there with Kids ( age 9 and 12 ) around 18th to 21st may. Please advise ideal ways to spend these 3 days. Also should Innsbruck done as a day trip from Salzburg or we should stay there ?

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Salzburg in may

I wouldn't bother with Innsbruck at all, frankly. If you have three days there - and May is a lovely time to be in Salzburg - I'd use the time to see a bit of the Salzburg lake area and enjoy the city. The Salzkammergut lake area can be reached in about 45 minutes by bus from Salzburg.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 22:53
Upper Montclair...
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Salzburg in may

The salt mines are nice there and very interactive. I went there when my daughter was 9 and we had a great time.

Edited: 29 February 2012, 00:43
Gorleston-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
18 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Salzburg in may

Go to Gosau and Hallstat. Lovely lakes and at Gosau you can walk round it in an hour, stop for meal at bar, go up to mountain hut too. Hallstat has a salt mine, with chutes!

At St Wolfgang take cog railway up to peak for great fun, 29 euro each.

So much to do! Rafting too

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,330 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Salzburg in may

Depends what you are interested in and what the weather is like.

Salzburg is very close to the German border

Herrenchiemsee on lake Chiemsee at Prien am Chiemsee is only 1hr away by train.

herren-chiemsee.de/englisch/…index.htm

You can visit the palace or just enjoy the lake.

Depending how many of you there are there is a group ticket called the Bayern Ticket. Costs only €29 and gives you unlimited use of ALL Regional public transport in Bavaria. This includes the Regional Trains from Salzburg to Munich (which stop at Prien). The Salzburg-Munich trains run every hour throughout the day until early evening. Only the fast IC, ICE, EC and RAILJET are excluded. Valid from 9am weekdays (midnight weekends) until 3am the following morning. For full T&Cs bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml and click on Bayern.

There is a Deutsche Bahn "DB" ticket machine at Salzburg station

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Salzburg in may

ice caves at Werfen

6. Re: 3 days in Salzburg in may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Salzburg