We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

We're going to be in Salzburg this summer for a few days. During my research I came across the Liechtensteinklamm (Liechtenstein Gorge) which is about an hour south of Salzburg.

We're also going to be near Garmisch-Partenkirchen later on in our trip which is where the Partnachklamm is located.

Can any local experts compare these two gorges? If you only had time to do one of them which would you choose?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

Time for just one-

Liechtensteinklamm would be my choice.

I believe it is longer , deeper, more waterfalls and overall more dramatic.

Perhaps takes a little longer to reach as Partnachklamm is just south of Garmisch, but to me well worth the time.

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

I was thinking the same thing.

Any idea how long the Liechtensteinklamm hike is (round trip).

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

Hard to provide a time frame- depends on your interests

with much to see - many like to make photos taking time for this and to admire the area.

Walking back the scene changes and it seems you are almost in another place.

One hour certainly not enough - perhaps 2 is better .

Restaurant as you come to the area , so if one stops for food and drink - more time.

If you have not already found it - look here for a preview

www.liechtensteinklamm.at

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

I've seen that web page. Quite well done but missing the details one expects about a hiking-walking trail.

I was hoping to find this kind of information:

www.banff.com/hiking/johnston_canyon.shtml

(Johnston canyon is a similar canyon type hike near to where I live)

At least 2 hours gives me a good idea.

I may try to combine this with a trip to the Eisriesenwelt Ice Caves in the morning.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

Try here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10701-Outdoors…

and do some research on Austrian/European hiking sites since you're looking for specialized information.

Vermont
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

Has anyone done Eisriesenwelt in the morning and Liechtensteinklamm in the afternoon? My research indicates this is quite doable...

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

That's what I plan to do. It looks to be very doable with a car. No idea about public transport south from Werfen though...

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

Update - We did both klamms a few days apart. Both are very dramatic and exciting. However, the Partnachklamm gets my vote as more interesting. In the Partnachklamm you are near the water level most of the way as the trail was blasted right out of the canyon wall. While some of the Liechtensteinklamm is also like this most of it is above the water looking down from cat walks suspended from the sides. In both cases a dramatic experience. Liechtensteinklamm has a nice waterfall at the end. Round rip on either klamm is under an hour. I'm glad I did both...

At the Partnachklamm you can ride up the mountain in a gondola and hike down until you reach the gorge. This probably adds 45 min to and hour to the hike.

And yes you can do the Eisriesenwelt in the morning and Liechtensteinklamm in the afternoon. Just get to the Eisriesenwelt before 10AM.

9. Re: Liechtensteinklamm or Partnachklamm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2013, 10:17