We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

Me and my partner are planning on being in Salzburg in June for 4 nights and really want to visit Hallstatt and The Ice Caves as day trips.

Would it be wise to do this on two separte days?

We also want to do the Sound of Music Tour.

Kind regards

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,780 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

Assuming you use public transport:

No, you can do both on the same day but you must leave quite early! There is a direct bus from Hallstatt to the base station of the ropeway - get the times of the bus in advance using the website of ÖBB (www.oebb.at). Basically, get all times in advance and print them!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

Personally if using public transport I would.

Bus 150 Bad Ischl

Train to Obertraun (Very nice short trip along lake Hallstatt)

Walk to the cable cars for the ice caves (Nice walk through the village)

Visit ice caves via cable car (Makes sure you buy the correct ticket for just what you want to see)

Drop back down and get bus to Hallstatt.

Late lunch and chill out next to the lake.

Ferry boat across lake to the railway station

Train to Bad Ischl

150 Bus to Salzburg

You can do it in a day but if you have two days split it. Much more relaxing.

If you split over two days after visiting the caves you could go up to the 5 fingers for amazing views. You will need the 2 cable car up down ticket to see the 5 fingers. Don't get the 3 up and down ticket as the third cable car is really only used by people going off for a long walk.

dachstein-salzkammergut.com/en/…

Anybody considering a visit to the caves/5 fingers must watch opening times for the first two sections of cable cars.

You may also want to consider visiting the thermal baths in Bad Ischl on the way back. Short walk from the 150 Bus stop. Bus runs back late to Salzburg. Very nice way to end the day. You can eat in the restaurant in the Thermal baths.

Staff

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

Wow thankyou both so much that was very helpfull, yes we will be taking public transport. As we only have 3 fulll days in Salzburg, i may try and fit it in one day as i want a day to relax and soke in the Old town and also to the sound of music tour!

Very helpfull thankyou =)

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

I would use the route planner on the OBB web site to check travel time.

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

If you search from Salzburg hbf - Obertraun Dachsteinseilbahn (Cable car)

If you want an early start

Start time 06:10

Train to Attnang Puchheim

Train to Obertraun

Walk one minute to bus stop

Catch bus to the cable car station

Arrive at 09:10

Or depart Bus 150 to Bad Ischl at 06:29 from Mirabellplatz

Train to Obertraun

Walk one minute to bus stop

Catch bus to the cable car station

Arrive at 09:10

The 150 bus is less likely to have delays.

Rail line down through Bad Ischl often has delays on the trains.

Staff

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

Can these ticketes for the ice caves and the cable carts need to be pre purchased or is it something we can buy when we arrive?

Thank you for the detailed info great help!

Lauren

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

Hi

Buy from the ticket office at the first cable car station. (Where the bus drops you off)

You can buy various tickets depending on which cable cars and caves you want to see.

There are two caves each 15 minutes walk from the top of the first cable car stop. There are cave tours which take one hour each. So you may be pushed for time if you want to see both. 1hr + 1hr + 1hr walking between caves + waiting for a tour to start. Could impact the amount of time you have in Hallstatt. I would start very early from Salzburg. Can always catch up on sleep on the long flight back home. :-)

Make sure you have good foot wear and a fleece if you go in the ice cave.

Staff

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

Could you combine either one of (Hallstatt or The Ice Caves) with the Liechtensteinklamm within the same day?

We will have a car and be coming from Berchtesgaden.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

Once again Thank you for being so helpfull will only do one cave dont think there is any need to do both that way i have more time to relax in Hallsatt.

Kind regards

Lauren

9. Re: Hallstatt and the Ice Caves!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:41