We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

We are planning to take the train from Prague to Salzburg — and just wanted to see if we need to buy tickets ahead of time... and if so, which is the best company to buy through (ideally direct one, not reseller).

And then also taking the train from Salzburg to Vienna and wondering the same with that route.

Thank you!,

Rachel

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,200 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

Please use the search function of the forum as advice on how to travel between Vienna and Salzburg has been answered many many times.

Prague to Salzburg (transfer in Linz in any case):

By train/train:: https://www.cd.cz/eshop/

By bus/train: www.westbus.at (Prague>Linz) + www.westbahn.at (Linz>Salzburg)

Salzburg to Vienna:

Operator 1: ÖBB (www.oebb.at)

Operator 2: WESTBAHN (www.westbahn.at)

Edited: 30 April 2012, 14:01
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

Thank you for your response — we do have that information already. Our questions that we were asking were:

1- Do we need to buy tickets ahead of time?

2- Which company is best to purchase through of the ones offered?

And we love the search function, but are often wary when responses are more than a year old since things changed (we've learned the hard way being stranded on a island!). We did see the post from March about the plane vs. train, and were hoping our question would help others who had decided on the train already.

Would love any insight anyone has on whether tickets are needed in advance — and for Salzburg to Vienna, whether OBB and Westbahn is preferred.

Thanks,

Rachel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

There are plenty of recent posts about Westbahn since it only began operations in December 2011.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 16:06
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,200 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

Between Salzburg and Vienna WESTBAHN is better (in my opinion) just because their regular fares are way cheaper than those of ÖBB. They sell tickets aboard without any surcharge. ÖBB's cheap fares must be booked in advance and are subject to allocation. Between Prague and Salzburg it is cheaper to take WESTBUS and WESTBahn, unless you buy the train ticket (from CD) in advance - then it should be equal.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

You should buy the train ticket from Prague to Salzburg in advance using the link that Mikey posted in #1 above - €29 in advance, or you can also buy it on the day but it will cost about twice as much. So you don't *need* to buy in advance but your pocket will forgive you if you do.

The Westbus that is mentioned in #4 above might be more convenient as the only train you can get is at 07:16

Whichever, you will have to change in Linz.

Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

I posted these same questions a few weeks ago and went on the website for the Czech trains but I had a problem when I tried opening the website. I think you can only book about 2 months in advance.

I will try again in a few months. I wanted to confirm that if I book 5 seats at the same time, we will get our seats assigned together?

Thanks everyone for your help. I may be back in a couple of months if I run into problems with the website again! Do you know if there is somewhere I can email?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

Yes - you can buy tickets from 60 days until 3 days before travel.

There is no need to reserve seats seperately as if you get to the train shortly before departure, you will be able to pick and choose your seats - there will be very few passengers going all the way to Linz (which is why the train is so short) but if you ready want to, there is a facility for choosing particular seats on the Czech website.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 17:45
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

... if you really want to ... (sorry - predictive text!)

delhi
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

On Q - The transit time at Linz we are getting is ~15 mins - Will that be sufficient?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Prague to Salzburg (and then to VIenna)

More than enough.