We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday in August - First time visitors

Herts, England
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday in August - First time visitors

I have booked flights and hotel for a thursday afternoon arrival, tuesday night departure for ourselves and 2 teenage daughters. Our plan at present is to take a Sound of Music tour Fri AM, Fri PM to Sun PM see Salzburg with a 3 day Card. Monday hire a car and see the Salzburg Salt Mines, Berchtesgaden and Eagles Nest. Tuesday travel outside Salzburg with car, perhaps Grossglockner Trail.

I know part of the fun in travelling is not to plan every minute and allow time to enjoy and explore but would appreciate comments to get the most of our visit. Thanks

Panorama Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours
Edelweiss Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday in August - First time visitors

If you have the time travel to Hallstatt which is a beautiful little town a few hours from Salzburg. Also, don't miss the Augustiner brau beer hall which is a short walk from the Old Town area of Salzburg. Enjoy your stay. You will absolutely love Salzburg.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday in August - First time visitors

I think on such a short trip I wouldn't recommend either Halstatt or the Grossglockner. It's a good long way to both. Personally I would not go underground (saltmines) either when there is so much to see in and around the city.

You can get to Berchtesgaden very quickly by car (half an hour-ish) so you could pull something else in on the way. We drove to the Untersberg and took the cable car to the top for fabulous views. Straight after that we headed off for Berchtesgaden and Konigsee, and still had time to drive up to the top of the Gaisberg when we got back.

Another trip we did by car was to Eisriesenwelt. The ice caves (the largest in Europe) would be far more interesting than the salt mines and the views of the Salzach valley and the mountains are amazing from up there. Go to:

http://www.eisriesenwelt.at/

You could easily visit the Salzkammergut lake region in the car. St Gilgen is at the head of Wolfgansee and you can take boat trips on the lake.

Have a great trip!

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday in August - First time visitors

My family spent a week last August in Salzburg area and we liked it so much that we are returning this August.Do not miss the Salzburg salt mines it is a very nice experience and also the Werfen castle (where a show with falcons takes place and part of the "where eagles dare"was filmed.)

With the 3-day card you are able to plan the places that are of interest to you and make the best use of your time .

Happy holidays

George

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday in August - First time visitors

When are you going? Some of the places, like Kehlstein Haus (Eagle's Nest) may not be open until mid May

Herts, England
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday in August - First time visitors

Many thanks for your replies.

The enthusiam for Salzburg through the whole forum leaves us looking forward to our visit more than ever.

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday in August - First time visitors

Hi,

Not sure what time of year you're going to be in Salzburg but if the weather is hot you should visit Hellbrunn palace. It's a very short drive from the centre of Salzburg and has water gardens where you get sprayed. Wear something that you don't mind getting wet.

As mentioned before Werfen castle is worth visiting.

The Salzkammergut region is close to Salzburg and is picturesque to drive around.

Have a great time!

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday in August - First time visitors

We just spent two days in Salzburg (27Mar06 & 28Mar06), and had an absolutely wonderful time. We did the Mozart dinner (spendy, but very worth it - I would highly recommend getting reservations in advance), and also ate at the Die Weisse brewpub (absolutely excellent - one of the best meals of our trip). We hiked up the road to a view point across the river and got excellent views of the castle at sunset.

We toured the salt mines south of town as well (pretty fun, though not exactly a "must do"). They were very easy to reach by car (we drove down, did the tour, and were back at our hotel in 3 hours). Driving in the Old Town section was very congested, but across the river it was a piece of cake with plenty of easy parking.

Oh, and by the way, we picked up several boxes of Mozart chocolates at a grocery store near the salt mines and they were a third the price being charged in Salzburg proper. Get your souvenir chocolates there!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday in August - First time visitors

Rangefinder, I got engaged in Salzburg last August. We went for 3 days and LOVED IT. Cannot wait to go back.

To whet your appetite, please feel free to view my galleries (perhaps leave a comment or two if you do to let me know what you thought): www.pbase.com/funkybassman/salzburg_2005

Regards

Steve

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family holiday in August - First time visitors

With 2 teenagers in tow I think you are wise to have an itinerary in mind. Salzburg itself is wonderful just to wander round, 2 days would probably be just sufficient. The lake district area is lovely, interesting and Austria at its prettiest. Might be hot in August so a good idea perhaps to escape to the lakes ? We visited at Christmas, very atmospheric, Christmas markets, snow, ice sculptures, ice skating on the winter outdoor rink and plenty of gluhwein. We would hope to return one day.