We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

After much planning and researching I think my itinerary is finalized for our Salzburg leg of our upcoming trip. We have 4 days in the area.

Day 1- Stay in Salzburg area, visit old town and Hellbrun Palace

Day 2- Day trip to Salt mines & Eagles nest

Day 3- Day trip to Werfen Ice caves and Hohenwerfen castle

Day 4- Day trip to Lake Konigssee and Jenner

Is it wrong to visit Salzburg and not have the Salzburg Fortress on our to do list?? We could skip Hohenwerfen castle and come back to Salzburg and do the fortress instead? Is one much better than the other or is it just personal preference?

Also, what is the best way to get to Hellbrun Palace? I see where you can go by boat? this sounded interesting?

Thanks very much...

The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
2,076 reviews
from US$56.40*
Salzburg Small Group Day Tour from...
1,368 reviews
from US$58.90*
Day Trip to Salzburg from Vienna
86 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Mozart Dinner Concert Salzburg
511 reviews
from US$79.00*
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

We had a great day exploring the fortress and I would recommend you try to fit it in. There is a lot to see there, great views of course and good museum displays and a fine restaurant. It is lit up at night and although you can only wander the outdoor areas ar night, the views over Salzburg are lovely.

It is on the cliff right above the old town. You can take the funicular or walk.

Given that it is right there in town, so involves no real travelling time, see if you can squeeze in even a short visit We were there last December and walked up to the fortress many times.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

I loved the Salzburg fortress. You could easily add it to Day 1.

We walked up rather than taking the funicular, arrived at 9am. Few hours there. Easy walk through old town, wandering alleys.

Maybe Hellbrun Palace in afternoon?

Haven't been to Werfen and the fortress there, that is on my list for next visit.

Your itinerary sounds great.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

I recommend the Fortress in Salzburg too, although if it's a clear day the one in Werfen will afford fabulous views. Hohenwerfen is substantially smaller than the one in Salzburg but the same architect designed them, over a thousand years ago :-)

You can take bus No. 25 to Hellbrunn palace. The inside is OK, not spectacular, but the grounds are huge and the Italian garden is great fun.

I'm not sure but if you go by boat I think you might need to walk a good way from the river to the palace. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that, but the palace isn't right beside the river.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 10:26
Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

I think Lizr if I remember right it maybe had a double decker bus ride from the river to Hellbrun? (I know they said a DD bus ride somewhere in there!) We generally like to avoid things like this as you have to be there at a certain time and have to stay until a certain time etc. We prefer to find our way ourselves, then we can stay as long as we like or leave sooner if its not to our liking. How long is the bus ride Hellbrunn? How much time would we need for the round trip? 3-4 hrs? And it sounds like we should squeeze in some time for Salzburg castle for sure!

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

We cycled to Hellbrunn alongside the river, locked up our bicycles there, then later on cycled back along Hellbrunner Allee (as recommended by Liz). You could easily do that and have time on your return to visit the fortress.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
12,036 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

If you are not already aware the Castle at Hohenwerfen was the "Schloss Adler" in "Where Eagles dare" - no there isn't and never was a cable car.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

Bus 25 would take about 15-20 minutes from the town to Hellbrunn. The Salzburg zoo is there and there's a stone theatre if you feel like a long walk in the grounds. There's a hill you can walk up too where there's a folk museum and further on the views of the Watzmann mountain are great.

Wader - thanks for the info on the DD bus.

Soggy has a good suggestion. The Hellbrunner Allee is a good route to the palace. In fact it's the route the Prince Archbishop used to take as Hellbrunn was his hunting lodge. Doubt he did it on a bicycle though. It's certainly a nice walk or cycle path.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 13:03
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
186 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

Go to the fortress to check out the views, and walk around inside. I think you only need an hour or so. For sure take the bus, don't bother touring the inside of Hellbrunn, what makes it great is the outside.

9. Re: Salzburg Fortress vs Hohenwerfen Castle & itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 07:15