We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting article I found "Things Not to Do in Salzburg"

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
49 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting article I found "Things Not to Do in Salzburg"

I found this article and I thought I should share it with any of you (like me) visiting Salzburg for the first time. Enjoy!!!

visit-salzburg.net/travel/things_not_to_do_i…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
951 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting article I found "Things Not to Do in Salzburg"

Actually, on the subject of food in the old town, we had some great, inexpensive meals (even brilliant vegetarian Indian one day), those gorgeous alleys usually have outdoor dining so you can check out other peoples' meals (!) as you read the display menu.

And it isn't so hard to avoid the hordes of tourists, Mirabell gardens was a bit swamped but soon clears as they're rushed through to their next 'tick off the list' site, while you can sit and enjoy.

You will love Salzburg. I am definitely going back one day.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,937 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting article I found "Things Not to Do in Salzburg"

Concerning tap water orders I'd like to add that in Austria it is indeed sometimes not "appreciated". I assume that this is because restaurants gain their profits (or rather greater contribution margins) from the sale of beverages. If you order beverages and additionally request tap water, it is no problem at all!

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting article I found "Things Not to Do in Salzburg"

I think I agree with all those points except that we've had some great meals in the old town without them being overpriced. Zur Goldene Ente on Goldgasse is a nice place to eat. We've also enjoyed food at Stieglbrau just below the fortress. In nice weather their open air terrace gives lovely views over the city.

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
181 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting article I found "Things Not to Do in Salzburg"

There's an ongoing discussion in Austria about whether bars, restaurants and cafes should be allowed to charge for tap water. It's actually a bit ridiculous - as if 80% of all guests would just order tap water and nothing else hen visiting a restaurant....

Yet, it has become more and more frequent in the last years that places in the inner city charge 1-2 Euros for a glass of water when it's ordered by a guest. However the price has to be explicitly stated in the menu or the price has to be pointed out by the staff, otherwise you should refuse to pay any extra charges. In most cafes you will automatically get a glass of tap water with your coffee which is always included in the price.

Austrian tap water is among the best and purest in the world, so visitors can enjoy drinking it right from the tap (unless stated otherwise on signs next to the tap, which you may find in some places).

Edited: 20 July 2012, 17:50
5. Re: Interesting article I found "Things Not to Do in Salzburg"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 06:16