We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base camp; Hallstatt or Salzburg

Fair Oaks, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Base camp; Hallstatt or Salzburg

Your post was wonderful. We are planning our first family trip to Europe and have a total of 4 days for the Munich/Salzburg area. We have two fortunate children (12 and 13) and are an athletic group, focused more on being outside and active.

My husband wants to stay in Munich for a few days, as he lived their once but we plan to spend two of the 4 days in either Salzburg or Hallstatt. The kids will most enjoy the salt mines, ice caves and biking around and flat town. I have identified hotels in both locations (Salzburg is in the heart of the town) and Hallstatt is on the lake.

What is your suggestion for where to base; if we stay in Salzburg, we can get their easily from Munich, spend the night, awake and go to Hallstatt for the entire day, come back spend the night in Salzburg and (I think) depart more directly out of the region (via Munich). If we stay in Hallstatt will I feel like Heidi and feel I've really arrived????

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Base camp; Hallstatt or Salzburg

Hallstatt is very pretty, offers hikes, etc., but essentially it is at the end of the world.

From Salzburg you have a wide range of choices, especially for the kids. Thus, my recommendation is Salzburg. Also, remember, it DOES rain in the alps at times. That's when Salzburg has an additional advantage. There are things to do.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base camp; Hallstatt or Salzburg

End of the world. :-)

Hallstatt is not a good base for 4 days.

Treplow makes a good point. You could base yourself there and it could rain for 4 days and be so misty you don't see a thing.

Do Hallstatt as a day trip but check the weather forecast first. If it's a sunny day and 0% precipitation forecast the scenery is stunning. Also if clear do the 5 fingers the scenery is incredible.

Of course if weather is not so good you could still go down the salt mine or visit the ice caves (near Obertraun)

You may also want to consider a visit to the historic town of Bad Ischl.

3. Re: Base camp; Hallstatt or Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 05:17