We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Munich to Salzburg

Orlando
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Munich to Salzburg

We are planning to fly into Munich over the next few days. With all the rain, are the automotive roads open to Salzburg from Munich? Additionally, as an alternative, are the roads open between Munich and Innsbruck? We would hate to cancel the trip, but if you can't get from A to B, what's the point. Any advice is welcome.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
93 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Munich to Salzburg

I had heard that they aren't open between Munich and Salzburg, but am going to check now. My husband and I are doing the same thing!! Leaving on the 11th.

Orlando
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Munich to Salzburg

Thanks Heidi, hope your trip isn't impacted by the weather.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Munich to Salzburg

The autobahn A-8 has been blocked at Grabenstaett, exit 109, at the south-eastern end of the Chiemsee lake. . According to the Bavarian Television news of today, starting tomorrow one lane will be open in each direction; they hope to have the second lane in each direction open by the weekend.

Once the rain has stopped in the mountains (which it has), the water levels tend to drop pretty quickly and Bundestrassen (like the US Highways) get opened, fast, even if there have been minor landsides. .

There was no mention of any blockage of the autobahn A-95 (Munich - Garmisch - Partenkirchen, with the continuing B-2 road to Mittenwald and Innsbruck. Right now, the worst is still along the Danube, near Deggendorf and Straubing.

I certainly would not cancel my trip.

4. Re: Driving from Munich to Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 06:17