We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Topic
DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

Hi!

I have read hat it is worth taking a boat between these villages? Which is the nicest way to do it? Salzburg to Strohl and then boats back up or Salzburg to St. Gilgen and boats down?

Thanks so much!!!

The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
2,079 reviews
from US$56.30*
Salzburg Small Group Day Tour from...
1,368 reviews
from US$58.80*
Day Trip to Salzburg from Vienna
86 reviews
from US$149.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Mozart Dinner Concert Salzburg
512 reviews
from US$78.90*
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

The simple answer both are nice.

It depends on what you want to do in each location and were you want to stop for lunch.

You may want to buy the boat day ticket and go all the way down to Strobl and back on the boat. Stopping of at Wolfgang on the way to Strobl or on the way back to St Gilgen.

Or

You may want to go to Strobl on the Bus from Salzburg then make your way back to St Gilgen on the boat via St Wolfgang.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

Oh how I hate choices!!!! We pretty much just want to relax and see pretty sights. We would probably like to have a picnic type lunch rather than a sit down meal. How long are the boat trips between each towns? And how long does it take to walk around see them. Is Strobl worth a visit? Will this be an all day affair? I am planning it as one. Thanks!!!!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

For boat timetable

schafbergbahn.at/service/downloads/infofolde…

This covers the boats and the cog railway in St Wolfgang. Which gives you another choice......... sorry :-)

Strobl is a quiet little village on the lake. Nice place to stop for a drink/food.

St Gilgen and St Wolfgang you need an hour or two to walk around.

Don't forget the cable car at St Gilgen as well. :-)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g608664-…

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

Just a suggestion - start at Strobl - an hour or so to look around? The catch the ferry and go to Furburg (I think that's its name) which is the stop before St Gilgen. From there it's a lovely stroll along the lakeside on a good path to St Gilgen (take some bread to feed the fish). Nice picnic places. A couple of hours to look around St Gilgen then the ferry to St Wolfgang.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

ok! I love that idea! Thanks so much!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

cog railway? cable car? oh no! more choices

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,595 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

gabs. if you are on a day trip from Salzburg, this is what I would do..

150 bus to st gilgen, up on the zwolferhornbahn (ancient gondola) for the views. then back down to st gilgen. walk around to furberg (30 mins) for a strudel. ferry from there to st wolfgang (schafberg stop), up the cog railway if you want (allow a couple of hours), walk through town to other ferry stop. ferry to strobl (not much to see there) and then get 150 bus back to Salzburg.

before yo go on gondola, have a look at tv to see if weather is clear at top. similarly with cog railway. no point going up them if you cannot see anything.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

Thanks! I am planning it now!

9. Re: DAy trip St. Wolfgang, St. gilgen and STrohl from Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:16