We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

Trophy Club, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

We heard the train ride from Zurich to Salzburg via innsbruk is very scenic. So we will be in Zurich for 5 nights and one of the days we plan to goto Salzburg and return next day.. and visit ice caves plus Untersberg. Considering the train journey each way is 5.5 hours almost, is this worth the trip?

note we are travelling with a 5 year old.

We already have a hectic schedule while staying in Zurich with day trips to Jungfrau, Lucern.

Please advise if the trip will be worth it

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

Why not forget about Zurich and spend your time in and around Salzburg instead. Zurich is a fascinating place; if you're a banker. Other than that it warrants about a half day for the average tourist. Salzburg, on the other hand is a beautiful place surrounded by other beautiful places. Wolfgangsee, Hallstatt, Bad Ischl, and even Munich and southern Germany are right there. Untersberg is a good half day trip just outside the town.

Of all the places you mentioned in your post, Zurich would have to be the most uninteresting.

2. Re: train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 August 2013, 15:35
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,875 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

I agree with the first reply. give me days around Salzburg, instead of zurich. but I guess that you have already booked for there. there is so much to see around the city of salzburg and environments.

if you are set on a scenic rail journey, have you conserved a trip on the glacier express? that is one of the worlds top train journeys.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 15:56
Trophy Club, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions, I am using Zurich as a hub while I make day trips to Jungfrau, Lucerne, etc. I will surely accomodate Salzburg and try to spend more time

Trophy Club, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

We plan to take guided tour to Mt Pilatus via lucerne, visit interlaken area etc while we stay in Zurich.

Last day we will take train to Chur, then bernina express to Tirano then arrive in Milan to start our Italy trip.

We thought Zurich is good in terms of train connectivity to these places. is there a better place to stay in swiss for such an interanary?

i am using marriot points to stay and not all cities had marriott.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

We spent a week-end in Zurich in the middle of May this year and found that 2 nights was enough to see all that we wanted to. We took a very pleasant 3 hr. boat trip around the lake, stopping off at several places en route to pick up/drop off passengers.

It was also quite pleasant to walk along the lakeside promenade through the park.

We walked through the old town and visited Grossmunster and Fraumunster churches. Parts of the old town are cobbled with steep hills and so your 5 year old may find the going a bit difficult.

However, there is a company not far from the station that offers tours of the city on a trolley bus.

We enjoyed Zurich but would probably have been a bit pushed to occupy our time had the weather not been nice and had we been staying for longer.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

You can't do a day trip to Jungfrau from Zurich. It's just too far.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

My thoughts entirely. It's really quite possible that the 5 yr old will hate the altitude and won't want to walk, so it will be a short stay, see the ice palace, go down. I would guess this isn't much under 5.5 hours each way either.

My boys love trains, we have been on train holidays to loads of places, use trains to get to places. We use Zurich airport for Austrian ski resorts, but they wouldn't appreciate two days on holiday of over 10 hours a day on a train without breaks.

There's a Marriot in Lucerne - is this any good for you? It's slightly closer to Jungfraujoch, some great options for excursions. You could swap JFJ for Titlis.

Trophy Club, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and advise, I have changed my schedule to stay in Lucerne marriott and cover only short excursions.

Considering my daughter had bronchitis too while she was infant we are leaving out Jungfraujoch,

10. Re: train trip to Salzburg from Zurich? worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 06:20