We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

If I was to do only one day trip out of Salzburg what would you suggest?

Should I take a tour or go it alone?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

What floats your boat?

Scenery or culture or history?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

Take a short bus ride and go to Bad Ischl (above poster's homeground). You'll get scenery, culture, and history, all in one.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

Castleblanca gives good advice. :-)

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

Danke sehr!

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

Thanks everyone! I was wondering if I should include St Gilgen or anything else and whether I need to do a tour or can do it myself. Also any good restaurants not too expensive there? One more question about how long should I allow for this trip you suggested. Again you guys are great to help me , Thanks

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

It's about an hour or hour and a half bus ride. And you will like the scenery (lakes and mountains).

When you come out of the train station in Bad Ischl, there is a tourist office across the square and a few meters up the street. They'll help you. You don't need any tour. Also, there are various restaurants ----- why not eat outside along the river? And be sure to visit Sissi's (wife of Franz Josef) palace in the large park.

Bad Ischl is a good day visit. Then take a bus back to Salzburg. (and maybe on your next visit you'll decide to spend a few nights here instead of in Salzburg. It is very, very nice.

http://badischl.salzkammergut.at/en#oben

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

Bus 150 from Salzburg 1.5 hours through lake & mountain scenery.

You could visit St Gilgen on the way back. (It's on the 150 bus route)

Plenty of places to eat.

History

http://www.kaiservilla.at/

Thermal Baths

eurothermen.at/en-bad-ischl-salzkammergut-th…

World famous Café Zauners

http://www.zauner.at/english/

Plus the Zauners on the esplanade.

I could go on and on.

What time of the year are you visiting Austria?

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

It is the week after next. Any special concerts or entertainment I should know about? Thanks for your suggestions- I heard the weather is hot. I really want to say that I appreciate your help.

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

Also some people are saying take the cog railway at st wolfgang - can I add that?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick trip out of Salzburg - best choice?

You are going in August?

The cog railway is great. The views of mountains, Lakes Wolfgang, Mondsee and Attersee are spectacular. Bus 150 to St Gilgen, boat to the Schafberg stop. Train up.

Two things to be aware of.

1) August is peak season the railway will be busy. If you want to do it get there early. When you get to the top go strait to the reservation office and pick the train you want to go down on. Allow 2-3 hours up there for taking photos and having a drink.

2) Weather. If you get to St Gilgen and the top of the Schafberg mountain is hidden by cloud you may want to skip it. You could catch a boat to Strobl instead. (Other end of the lake). Then bus 150 or 546 to Bad Ischl. Or you may want to boat to St Wolfgang then onto Strobl.

If you do the railway you may be able to spend late afternoon early evening in Bad Ischl. You can get the 546 bus from St Wolfgang to Bad Ischl.

Bad Ischl back to Salzburg,

On a working day the last 150 bus leaves at 19:24 and 18:24 on Sundays/Bank Holidays,

Miss the bus you can train to Salzburg via Attnang Pucheim.

Sorry to say there is so much to see and do in the Salzkammergut you really need a couple of weeks. :-)