We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berchtesgaden & Konigsee vs St Gilgen & St Wolfgang

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Berchtesgaden & Konigsee vs St Gilgen & St Wolfgang

Which one would you choose for a daytrip? I am coming from Cesky Krumlov and then staying in Salzburg. Again thanks everyone for your informed opinions!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berchtesgaden & Konigsee vs St Gilgen & St Wolfgang

They are both good.

Berchtesgaden if you want a great town and of course the eagles nest close by.

Lake and scenery it's got to be Lake Wolfgang IMHO. Easy access on the 150 bus from Salzburg.

Cable car at St Gilgen, cog railway at St Wolgang. Boat trips. Great walking etc etc.

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berchtesgaden & Konigsee vs St Gilgen & St Wolfgang

Thanks for your help. St Gilgen it is then. Should I do St. Gilgen first and the St Wolfgang or the opposite?

Also any sidestreets that are nice to walk down?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berchtesgaden & Konigsee vs St Gilgen & St Wolfgang

Logically you will come to St Gilgen first on the 150 bus.

You can stroll around the village it's very pretty and has spectacular views down Lake Wolfgang.

Best way to get to St Wolfgang is take the boat.

schafbergbahn.at/en_uk/…aboutship.html

Also don't forget the pretty village of Strobl at the other end of Lake Wolfgang which is also on the 150 bus route. So you could go there first and boat back to St Gilgen via St Wolfgang. If you take a look on Google maps it will make more sense.

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berchtesgaden & Konigsee vs St Gilgen & St Wolfgang

Sounds like a great plan. Anything I should look for ex. side streets, restaurants, stores, gifts, This has been very helpful thanks everyone!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berchtesgaden & Konigsee vs St Gilgen & St Wolfgang

Places to eat to many to mention but.

I do enjoy the food in St Gilgen at the Fischer Wirt Seegasthaus on the lake side next to the boat stop.

Impossible to miss it's the one with the fish tank outside with hundreds of trout swimming around waiting to be eaten by hungry diners like me. I can recommend the Grillteller at €13.50.

In St Wolfgang if you go through the village and along the lake side promenade just opposite the Cog Railway there is the Lillis Seecafe. Nice place to sit outside with great views. I like the chicken salad here for €7.90. Very good value for money. Nice deserts as well.

In Strobl I like the food at Seehotel Lilly. Again it's on the lake side near the boat stop.

Not that I eat out much around Lake Wolfgang. :-)

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berchtesgaden & Konigsee vs St Gilgen & St Wolfgang

You have been very helpful especially explaining locations. Are there any restaurants on sidestreets that you know that maybe won't be as touristy. Again thanks and I will try some of your suggestions!

7. Re: Berchtesgaden & Konigsee vs St Gilgen & St Wolfgang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 06:18