We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I tour Eisriesenwelt in half day?

HK
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Can I tour Eisriesenwelt in half day?

Hi all, I have studied previous posts on visiting Eisriesenwelt, but still can't sort out a few questions. I will take the morning train from Salzburg to Werfen followed by shuttle bus. The first shuttle bus departs Werfen at 0820.

(1) Train from Salzburg to Werfen arrives either at 0748 or 0815, If I arrived at 0815, seems a bit risky I may miss the shuttle and need to wait another 2 hrs. Anyone know does the shuttle bus depart following the train's arrival, or train and shuttle runs independently from each other?

(2) If I arrive at the cave around 9am, what time should I expect to leave? Since I am planning on going back to Salzburg and then to Hallstat on the same afternoon.

(3) There are 4 shuttles going from Werfen to the cave, but there is no returning schedule. Does anyone has a recent schedule of the shuttle from the cave to Werfen?

Thanks a million.

(3)

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I tour Eisriesenwelt in half day?

To give you an idea on duration. The tour companies that pick up in Salzburg take you there direct and then drop you back in Salzburg take 5 - 5.5 hours. Do it on your own ,train is 40 minutes each way then you need to add in time for the bus. Plus you need to allow 3 hours for the actual cave (see ice cave web site). Don't forget there is a lot of walking just to get the cave.

There is a regular bus service every 25 minutes that drops you 5 minutes from Werfen station.

I assume you are going to Hallstatt afterwards and staying overnight. There is no way you can do both in a day using public transport.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I tour Eisriesenwelt in half day?

When I went up it took about 4-4.5 hours on our own and we drove to the base where you catch the bus up to the visitor's center. From there you have another (short but steep) hike up to the tram/gondola and then it's another hike up to the entrance of the cave from there- expect to take at minimum 4.5 hours. Not including the public transportation time, and the waiting times.. You will not be able to do both in a day using public transportation.

Oman
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I tour Eisriesenwelt in half day?

We took a fast train at 9.10 from Salzburg and rchd Werfen at around 9.55. Come out of the station and right there is the bus stop. The bus is at 10.20. It came there sharp at 10.18 ! It took us up in about 15-20 mins.

We then started our climb up after buying the tix. This took abt 20-25 mins and then the cable car which took abt 3 mins only. Then another 20 mins walk.

We reached the cave around 12. Took the english tour whihc lasts for about 70 mins. Started our decent down immd and rchd the bus stop around 1.30. We made it to the 14:10 train back to salzburg...but got off at Hallein to do the salk mine tours too !

We treked up wtth my small girls aged 5 and 8. So, if u are only adults travelling...u could do the climb up faster.

Have a good trip.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I tour Eisriesenwelt in half day?

why not go to the dachstein ice cave beside hallstatt? then you will easily be able to do both in the same day! problem solved!

5. Re: Can I tour Eisriesenwelt in half day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 07:20