We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Salzburg on rainy days

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
167 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Salzburg on rainy days

Hi,

As a part of our first-ever Austria trip, my wife and I will be in Salzburg for 3 days from the 25th of this month. As of now, the plan is to do only Salzburg city on day one, Hallstatt the next day, and Konnigsee and Jennerbahn on the last day. This itinerary is on the extremely optimistic assumption that we will get clear and rain-free days throughout, which seems unlikely looking at the latest weather forecast. So, the question is: What will I need to change in this itinerary, and what should I replace it with (in case we are unlucky and it really rains)? For example, Salzburg town exploration will not get affected by rains, but the Jennerbahn part will. Also, have read on these forums that Hallstatt is gloomy on rainy days. Any suggestions/thoughts will be greatly appreciated. We are not too much into museums or big cities, but love nature, and generally historical feel of places if that is any help :-)

Thanks in advance.

Anurag

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Salzburg on rainy days

We had similar issues last month and could have lost almost half of our trip to the weather. We went to Salzburg on a drizzly overcast day and this helped as it was very quiet around the old town. Plenty of places to nip in and out of. The brewery tour at Stiegl near the airport is more of a museum and kills a few hours and is actually quite good. Cable cars are obviously a waste of time!

Another tip if its a changeable day is each valley tends to have differing weather so on a day where St Gilgen had heavy rain, we took a trip across to Rattenberg which was overcast but dry. Lovely cross country drive and something different.

I think the salt mines are naturally busy on rainy days too.

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Salzburg on rainy days

Hi!

You could visit the salt mines either in Hallstatt or in Hallein, but as Aceman18 said before, they might be quite busy. See http://www.salzwelten.at/en/home/ for further Information.

You could also consider visiting the ice caves in Werfen, which are the biggest in the world: http://www.eisriesenwelt.at/en/home.html. However, to enter the caves, you have to take a path outdoors, so you should still carry proper rain protection.

If you are interested in history, you could also consider visitng the Hohenwerfen Fortress: www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/werfen/index.htm.

Or again, you could consider visiting a thermal spa, like the one in Bad Ischl: www.eurothermen.at/en-bad-ischl-index.htm. Bad Ischl has also an interesting history, as it used to be the favorite holiday destination of the Austrian emporer Franz Joseph and his wife Sisi.

Enjoy your stay in Salzburg!

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Salzburg on rainy days

The castle at Werfen is great but IMO at least half of the reason to go there is the stupendous high mountain scenery around there. That would be completely lost on a rainy day.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Salzburg on rainy days

Hallstatt Salt Mine will not be that busy at the end of September. There is a new viewing platform as well which has spectacular views on a clear day.

Also consider the Ice cave at Dachstein. Easier to access than the one at Werfen.

Check weather forecasts before you travel.

5. Re: Day trips from Salzburg on rainy days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:19