We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Wolfgang & Hallstat

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
St Wolfgang & Hallstat

I would like to check if it is possible to do both St Wolgfgang and Hallstat in a day. How to travel by public transport.

Also, for Hallien, other than visiting the salt mine and museums. What else is there to do? If I start early in the day, how long would this trip takes us and what else can I do for the rest of the day.

Thank You.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,189 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Wolfgang & Hallstat

using public transport, you could do both in a day. what time of year are you travelling?

to get to st wolfgang from Salzburg you take the 150 bus to strobl and change to another bus to reach st wolfgang. travel time about an hour total. then from st wolfgang you can get a bus direct to bad ischl, and take a bus towards gosau, changing to hallstatt bus at steeg. sorry, I am not good on bus numbers, but there is another poster from this area, who will probably fill you in. time from st wolfgang to hallstatt? probably about 90 mins. coming back, same in reverse to bad ischl and then 150 bus to Salzburg. I doubt that you would have much time to do anything else.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Wolfgang & Hallstat

It's possible but you will spend a long time on buses.

Salzburg - St Wolfgang (Via Strobl). Bus 150 and 546 = 1 hour 40 minutes.

St Wolfgang - Bad Ischl. Bus 546 = 35 minutes.

Bad Ischl - Hallstatt. Bus 542 and 543 = 42 minutes.

Hallstatt - Salzburg. Bus 543 then 542 then 150 = 2 hours 30 minutes.

So total time on Buses is about 5 hours.

Even if you went to Hallstatt and back it's 5 hours of travelling.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,189 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Wolfgang & Hallstat

well, I wasn't far out with my timing. I reckoned on 5 hours total too. maybe in summer it is doable, but still a rush.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Wolfgang & Hallstat

Can you not just hire a car for the day and drive there? It takes just under an hour to drive to Hallstatt (best to see it in the morning because the light is best); then you can drive back via St Wolfgang in the afternoon (again when the light is best for lake Wolfgang).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St Wolfgang & Hallstat

Thank you! I am travelling in mid Nov so looks like will be tough.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,189 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Wolfgang & Hallstat

liz. funnily, I would do it the other way around! early morning in hallstatt, in winter, there is little sun . this arrives in afternoon. and the reverse on wolfgangsee. sun goes down very early, leaving a lot of lake in shadow, although st wolfgang would still be sunny

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Wolfgang & Hallstat

During a day tour to Salzburg from Munich Germany, the highlight of the tour was a stopover in St. Wolfgang, a dreamy, heart-stoppingly picturesque village by the lake, 47 kilometers from Salzburg.

Entering the village was like stepping back in time. I felt a sense of the romantic, a sense of the simple life.

Words like “peaceful,” “nostalgic,” “serene” and “romantic” came to mind.

Billowy clouds drifted across a watercolor-blue sky.

Cows grazed on green slopes that dropped down to the jade waters of the lake.

Festive flowers adorned Bavarian balconies.

Toyland-like hotels with colorful facades graced cobbled lanes.

Ivy climbed up whitewashed walls.

A tangle of cobbled lanes led to souvenir shops, jewelry stores, and a wonderful ice cream vendor serving French vanilla and other exotic flavors of ice cream.

Sidewalk cafes beckoned.

A horse drawn wagon clip-clopped its way toward the main square.

No frantic crowds or big city museums here, except the living museum of nature, that is.

The crowning touch was the lake.

I imagined lazy summer afternoons sunning myself on a blanket in the grass, then diving into the cold water.

Or canoeing on the lake, drinking in the colorful flowers and soaking in the bone-warming sun.

Or a romantic stroll along the waterfront in the moonlight.

On an extended stay there, I might float on my back in the lake and dream of some imaginary noble who may have spent his summers here.

Or while away a few hours people watching at a sidewalk cafe.

Or enjoy a croissant with ham and local cheese along with Austrian pastries on a picnic in one of the parks.

Or wander the medieval lanes, window shopping and chatting with the natives.

Or sample one of the local wines.

Or dinner under the stars.

Out of nowhere, a line of tractors puffed its way down to the main square. Apparently for a tractor judging. Giggling children sat behind on wooden trailers.

Traditional costumes included high socks, brown shorts, suspenders, and those funny-pointed hats for the men, and fluffy skirts and off-the-shoulder white tops for the women.

I noticed lots of rosy cheeks.

Next up on the tour, a cruise down the lake.

Flowers, shrubs and trees hugged the shoreline.

On the one side, farms dotted the hillsides. On the other, the emerald glimmer of the water.

Faure's “Berceuse,” with piano and violin, danced in my head.

Farther down the lake, the white sails of sailboats darted to a fro like dancing butterflies.

I suspect the peacefulness of that village will linger for a long time.

8. Re: St Wolfgang & Hallstat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 05:17