We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-DaysItinerary in Salzburg (10 Day Germany - Austria)

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
3-DaysItinerary in Salzburg (10 Day Germany - Austria)

Hi,

I am travelling with my family of 4 (2 kids - 8 and 6) to Munich-Salzburg-Innsbruck-Neuschwanstein in late November. I just started working on my itinerary (very late!) and drawn up the following itinerary for Salzburg (splitting the work with my other half). The daylight hours are pretty short so I am not sure if I am too ambitious.

Day 1 - Drive from Munich (should I take a train instead?). Explore Old Town, Mirabell Palace and Garden, Mozarteum, St Peter's Abbey and Toy Museum (for the kids!)

Day 2 - Hohensalzburg Castle and Salzwelten Hallein

Day 3 - Drive to St Wolfgang / Schafberg Railroad

I guess it is not the best of times to visit because a few places are closed during those days I am there e.g. Untersberg, Eagle's Nest, Hellbrunn Palace.

I have 2 days lined up for Innsbruck after Salzburg but wondering if I should spend more time in Salzburg.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 18:08
Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-DaysItinerary in Salzburg (10 Day Germany - Austria)

How late in November are you going? The Salzburg Christmas markets begin on 21st November so this could affect what recommendations we make for you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-DaysItinerary in Salzburg (10 Day Germany - Austria)

Two of Innsbruck's Christmas markets start on Nov. 15. Then all, are open by Nov. 25.

innsbruck.info/en/…christkindlmaerkte.html

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-DaysItinerary in Salzburg (10 Day Germany - Austria)

Planning to be there sometime between 27-30 Nov. I think I might have been too ambitious and perhaps should spend 2 days in the city - one of each side of the river. I included visits to the markets on both days (not sure if the addresses are right but they are what I get from the research). Here are the changes:

Day 1 - Drive from Munich (should I take a train instead?). Explore Old Town, Mirabell Palace and Garden, Mozarteum, Mozart's Residence, Salzburg's Christkindlmarkt (Julius-Raab-Platz 1 5020)

Day 2 - Hohensalzburg Castle, Mozart's Birth Place, St Peter's Abbey, Salzburg Museum and Toy Museum (for the kids!), Salzburg's Christkindlmarkt (Universitätsplatz 5020 Salzburg, Austria)

Day 3 - Salzwelten Hallein (30 mins drive one way)... can I still squeeze in something here?

Day 4 - St Wolfgang / Schafberg Railroad (50 mins drive one way).... Oh no, the SchafbergBahn only runs until 27 Oct (seen from the timetable)? Does the Wolfgangsee runs to end Nov?

Are there anything else I should be looking at? Looks like I might have to shorten my stay in Innsbruck but I would like to visit the Hungerberg Funicular and see the alps since the Untersberg is closed during my visit.

Edited: 15 October 2013, 02:42
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-DaysItinerary in Salzburg (10 Day Germany - Austria)

Day 4

Yes Schafberg closes 27th October. There are special trips after that date but only to the middle station. It's due to the weather/snow.

Same with the boats. The Summer schedule finishes then they switch to special timetables, like when the Christmas markets are on.

This is the timetable for the Advent Market boats.

https:/…Adventfahrplan_2013.pdf

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,887 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-DaysItinerary in Salzburg (10 Day Germany - Austria)

as schafberg will be closed, you could consider going up the zwolferhorn gondola in st gilgen. also if in the area and as you have kids with you, have you considered a trip to gut aiderbichl, an animal sanctuary in henndorf, which also houses a Christmas market.

Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-DaysItinerary in Salzburg (10 Day Germany - Austria)

Thanks for the information. How long should I allow for this excursion? I am thinking if I should do this on one day and then return to spend the rest of the day in Salzburg or follow on with Hallein Salzwelten. Or should I visit Hallein on Day 4, en-route to Innsbruck (maybe stopping at Zell am See for a night)?

Edited: 16 October 2013, 10:07
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,887 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-DaysItinerary in Salzburg (10 Day Germany - Austria)

if driving, st gilgen is 25 mins from Salzburg. there you can go up the gondola, and then take the ferry to st wolfgang, and back. but remember, the markets open in afternoons on certain days of the week, usually thurs fri sat sun. if bus, take 150 bus from Salzburg. journey is about 40-45 mins to st gilgen.

if driving and you do have some time available, may I suggest that you drive a bit further in the morning, to hallstatt, a beautiful lakeside unesco village. it could be cold there and a bit quiet, but well worth a an extra two hour diversion, leaving you to enjoy wolfgangsee in afternoon

(when I say two hour, this means travel both ways, a walk around village and a strudel in café derbl!)

Edited: 16 October 2013, 10:30
8. Re: 3-DaysItinerary in Salzburg (10 Day Germany - Austria)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 05:17