We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

Bangkok
Level Contributor
67 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

Will be in Salzburg for a couple of days (Christmas Eve and Christmas Day leaving the next morning and am concerned about rooms that are too hot. Just had a bad experience in Milan which I posted about.

What were looking for is a room that remains cool. We like to either keep the window open a bit but hate street noise or preferably a room that has AC instead of heat in the winter to keep the room cool.

Looking for Central hotel and have been looking at Motel One Salzburg Mirabell. This seems to be a bit away from the center so that may mean quieter if window is open.

Thanks all!

The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
2,079 reviews
from US$56.30*
Salzburg Small Group Day Tour from...
1,368 reviews
from US$58.80*
Day Trip to Salzburg from Vienna
86 reviews
from US$148.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Mozart Dinner Concert Salzburg
512 reviews
from US$78.80*
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190441-d2355…

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

The Mirabell is not quiet sadly; it's right on a corner where trolleybuses go tooling round at all hours of the day and night so you'd be listening to whirrrrr-chug-chug-CLUNK-FZZZZZT! whenever the pole things go over a set of points.

I recently stayed at the Star Inn Gablerbrau; it has air con and is pretty quiet.

I don't think you'd have many problems with street noise at that time of year anyway, unless the place you choose is bang opposite a noisy pub (don't think so, with Gablerbrau). I always had most trouble with noise in summer from the pavement cafes/bars with tables on the street.

Re Vienna I always stay at Hotel Pertschy at that time of year. I guess the staff think I'm nuts because I have been known to open the windows - but they have old-fashioned radiators with thermostats on so you can turn the heating right down or even off if you prefer so I can adjust the temperatures to suit myself. I can't bear that underfloor heating permanently set on "deep fat fry" you find in modern hotels!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,164 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

@ Roley

I love your evocation of a trolley bus! ;-)

Bangkok
Level Contributor
67 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

Thanks for the advice. Have looked at both hotels. The Alstadt and Star Inn at Gablerbrau. My only concern with Alstadt were the reviews on the iffy wifi. I'm travelling with my 21 year old son so this would be an issue. The rate however at 125 euro including breakfast is good. The Gablerbrau on the other hand looks perfect but unfortunately they only have rooftop suites available for our dates over Christmas at 190 euro a night which does not include breakfast, though the suites look lovely.

I was just looking at the Pertschy Hotel in Vienna last night and am learning that way. I also agree with your assessment of the modern hotels with the heated floors set on "deep fat fry". LOL!

I really thought I had this sorted out several months ago (had booked the Motel One Mirabell) but after our last trip to Milan last week and the room being too hot I've had to rethink our stay in Prague, Vienna and Salzburg over Christmas. Had also booked the Motel One in Vienna and Ibis in Prague.

Again I generally pick these type of hotels when traveling with my son as he NEEDS to update his FB, Instagram and various other applications constantly with pictures of food and sights when he is back in th room. Not sure if this is a western habit but here in S.E. Asia the under 30 and especially the university students (my son) are addicted to their smart phones.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

I just realized I made a mistake about the Motel One Mirabell; I thought it was the Hotel Mirabell on the corner of Mirabellplatz & Paris Lodonstrasse. The Motel One is on Elisabethkai. I haven't stayed there so can't judge how noisy it would be - although I dimly recall it fronts the river and isn't directly next to the bridge (which is a main route into the city centre and full of traffic). I would suggest checking whether their room windows open though; I think it's a modern building so it might have ferocious heating. Having read your Milan review I think you may find the attitude about "air-con is only for the summer months" quite prevalent in Austria too!

Re the wifi; yes, I think anyone under 30 in Europe is similarly addicted to social media! And even this old trout must admit that she doesn't like to be parted from her email. You may find the list of cafes etc with free wifi hotspots throughout Austria on www.freewave.at useful to avoid gigantic roaming charges!

6. Re: Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 October 2013, 05:46
7. Re: Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 October 2013, 05:47
Edited: 26 October 2013, 05:47
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

I checked HRS.com and according to them, the Motel One Mirabellplatz does have "windows for opening". The map on the Austrian yellow pages (www.herold.at) also shows it as being slightly away from the main road (St Julienstrasse) and the noisy bridge, so I think it may fulfil your requirements after all. I apologize for giving you the wrong advice after mistaking the hotel name!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
67 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

Roley your a star! Can you sort out our dinner plans for the 24th and our lunch on the 25th? LOL!

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel where I can open window and quiet or one with AC

I mentioned the Weisse Taube in post #1 as I don't remember it being that hot when I stayed then one year in December.

A lot of the rooms open onto either a central quiet courtyard or onto a quiet street.

The Staff are great very friendly and helpful, breakfast very good and the location is perfect.