We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg Newbie !

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg Newbie !

Hello,

I've never been to Salzburg before and thinking it would be a nice weekend break. poss 3/4 nights in Jan/Feb

I have been looking a little bit on the net and so far have come up with a bit of info

Thinking of flying from Manchester to Munich, getting the train to Salzburg, is it direct? I believe it takes a couple of hours but does it run 24hrs? any difference at the weekends? as this will dictate the flight times I book?

I also believe you can book 1st or 2nd class is there much difference in seating/service on the trains?

What are the average prices for food/drinks, (I understand that some places are dearer than others, but if you could give me a rough idea I would appreciate it)

Is there much chance of seeing snow in Jan/Feb?

Can you recommend anywhere to stay

Thanks very much, appreciate any advice suggestions you may have

Thanks

Danny

Edited: 31 October 2013, 15:25
Best Seller
The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
2,055 reviews
from US$52.30*
Day Trip to Salzburg from Vienna
82 reviews
from US$148.20*
Salzburg Small Group Day Tour from...
1,356 reviews
from US$58.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Mozart Dinner Concert Salzburg
501 reviews
from US$78.40*
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg Newbie !

Quick reply until I can get to my PC. It requires two trains. First one is sbahn to either Munich main station or Munich East. Then a second train to Salzburg. Second train does not run over night. Land too late and you would have to overnight in Munich. Are you thinking of using Lufthansa? If so go for there early flights. Trains take about 2.5 hours.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg Newbie !

Hotels

Search for Hotel Elephant or Weisse Taube. Both in a great location.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg Newbie !

Thanks very much,

Any other help or suggestions are welcomed and much appreciated

Thanks

Danny

USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg Newbie !

Like in most cities, you can spend pretty much what you want for food and drink. It just depends on what sort of dining experience you are looking for.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg Newbie !

Is there likely to be much snow around in Salzburg in Jan/Feb or is that more the ski resorts?

Thanks

Danny

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,786 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg Newbie !

I would imagine that there will be plenty of snow around that time, but conditions can be variable. occasionally no snow at ground level, but every time I have been over for Christmas and new year, there has been plenty. even if there was none in the city,head out on the 150 bus to wolfgangsee and yo will find some. that is because the mountains attract the snow.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg Newbie !

How far to St Wolfgang by bus or train?

Is it worth a stay over at night ?

Thanks

Danny

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,786 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salzburg Newbie !

there are three villages around the lake. the one nearest to Salzburg itself is st gilgen. the 150 bus will et you there in 40 mins. strobl is at the end of the lake and 150 bus takes you another 15-20 mins. st wolfgang itself is on the other side of the lake and you would have to cange bus at strobl, to get to the village, maybe another 10 mins. there are no trains.

however, if you wanted to, you could get off at st gilgen and possibly take a gondola lift to the top of the mountain, and /or take the ferry from st gilgen across to st wolfgang, rather than use the busses.

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
14 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salzburg Newbie !

At lunch time you can get a meal for less than 10 euros.You can choose Austrian fare , vegetarian( for example :Spicy spices,Indigo or Heart of Joy Cafe) or Chinese(usually a buffet lunch).Supermarkets also have self-service restaurants.Bakeries make sandwiches to order.There are also Buger King,McD,Subway or kebab stands.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salzburg Newbie !

Thanks very much for all the input and advice so far, please keep the suggestions coming

Really looking forward to seeing Salzburg

Thanks

Happy Holidays

Danny