We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eleventh Hour Concerns

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Eleventh Hour Concerns

Guys,

We were scouring hotel ratings and flights and stuff on TA and thought I'd pause to investigate how to get to Kitz from Salzburg, to my dismay it sounded like it was a bit of a mission. I then sort of had a bit of a reality check and thought - I want to use Salzburg as a base to get to alpine regions, is this going to be a logistical nightmare without a private car or very expensive transfers?

I looked at breaks in Kitz, it seems this doesn't really exist yet, perhaps in a couple of weeks time or so.

I guess we're trying to create that 'chocolate box scene' of alpine places, but with the difficulty it's too early in the year (but we don't have much choice on that front) really.

I'm starting to wonder if our decision to use Salzburg as a base is such a sensible one now, can anyone guide me in this regard? - I see for example it would take 2.5 hours to get to Kitz from Salzburg, however, is that a well spent 2.5 hours on a lovely train (a-la Michael Portilo style!) taking in some amazing scenery and chilling or is that 2.5 hours of boredom for EUR 50?!

I searched for Salzburg vs Innsbrook last night and that made me stick to Salzburg, however, I'm starting to wonder if that was so wise now. Arrrrrrrrgh curse our forced timing basically.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

When are you travelling?

By Kitz do you mean Kitzbuhel?

The train journey from Salzburg to Kitzbuhel should take you through some wonderful scenery.

Until we know when you're travelling it's hard to advise.

Don't panic, you're going to see some wonderful Alpine countryside whatever happens :-) Just give us a little more to go on.

Liz.

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

Thanks Liz, sorry, I'm quite caught up in all this and I forget some important details. Yes by Kitz I meant Kitzbhuel.

Ideally we'd be landing in Salzburg on Sunday or Monday (as in less than a week today), so you can see what I mean by eleventh hour concerns. Unfortunately we've not had very long to plan as the time I've been able to take has sort of been sprung on me and isn't very flexible. We'd be looking to stay about 5 days or so.

I guess two of our restrictions if you like are that we have to use public transport (well, some taxis are fine but not all the time!) and one of our party has some mobility issues - hence why we were interested in cable car rides and stuff.

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

Oh and I sort of had this romantic idea (sort of sold to me by skiers at work) that I might be able to visit a cool restaurant which was basically above the clouds, I'm not sure if that would actually work out or not though.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

Salzburg itself will be pretty magical as the Christmas Markets get underway towards the end of this week. Don't miss going for a drink at the Stiftskeller St Peter courtyard which is the oldest inn in Europe (803). Not far away by bus is the Untersberg mountain and it's cable car to the top. There's snow up there at the moment and care must be taken but the views are fabulous.

The Salzkammergut lake area is close to Salzburg and easily accessed by public transport. So is Konigsee lake. Both these areas have cable car rides and boat trips on lakes with lovely scenery all round. To get to Lake Wolfgang (with at least three lovely villages on the shores) you take bus 150 from Salzburg and you can be in St Gilgen in around 45 minutes. And, if you like, take the boat down the lake to St Wolfgang. Take a look at this website to see what the area has to offer. I don't think you'll be disappointed:

wolfgangsee.salzkammergut.at/home.html#oben

To get to Konigsee lake you take bus No. 840 to Berchtesgaden (across the border in Bavaria). This takes about 40 minutes. Change buses for a fifteen minute ride to Konigsee and you can take the cable car to the top of the Jenner mountain.

http://www.koenigssee.com/winter-holiday.htm

http://www.jennerbahn.de/de/englisch/

Zell am See might be a good excursion for you. Less time on the train than to Kitzbuhel. The scenery all the way there is spectacular and you pass the fortress, high on a rock, that was used in the film Where Eagles Dare. This is at Werfen about an hour south of Salzburg (not to be confused with the fortress in Salzburg which was built by the same 10th century architect). The lake at Zell is fabulous with mountains all around:

www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en…

Hope some of this has helped allay your fears :-) Ask away if you have any more questions.

Liz.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 22:43
London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

Hi Liz,

That's very helpful thanks very much.

I do love old pubs in London so I'll be sure to seek out Stiftskeller St Peter courtyard, that sounds like my kind of place.

I could be wrong but I think the first cable car at Untersberg, may be shut? "Wegen Revision ist vom 28. Oktober 2013 bis 13.Dezember 2013 die Untersbergbahn geschlossen" ? (Not that I speak German!), which would be a shame as it looks great.

This bus 150 seems to be quite an integral part to Salzburg and trips around it! - I tried to get information from their website to effectively get a map of where it stopped in Salzburg and beyond, with a timetable, however, I didn't do to well. I'm not that 'big' on busses in London as I find it's tricky to keep track of where the bus is if you don't know the route, do Austrian busses like this one actually have stops 'advertised' inside on some kind of board or something, so you don't need to know in advance?

The Wolfgangsee area does look nice and it seems quite accessible from Salzburg, I guess this is the main cable car thingy: …salzkammergut.at/en/… It's hard to be 100% but it looks like it'll be open -I guess it'll follow the October and December timings. When you get to "St. Gilgen (Busbahnhof)", is it then close or is it a bit of a trek? - I'm trying to think for the member of our party who struggles with walking too far.

I'd not thought about jumping across the boarder, that sounds fun! - Both of those places look up our street too, I'd need to check they're all open and stuff though on their website.

Zell - we originally considered going there instead but were told it wouldn't be a good idea for a 5 day trip, however, I'd be dead keen to go for the day.

More questions? I've probably got about 30 to be honest, however, I'll try to refrain from just screaching them all out before I get busy on Google. I guess one of hte most important decisions is where we should stay. We were keen to use a BA deal because it seemed to be priced competitivly and there looked to be a fair amount of choice, at hte moment I was quite keen on this one: tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190441-d2271…

Location wise for travelling around would that be a good or bad bet?

I suppose one other important one would be 'transfers' a travel agent said the transfers (for three of us, from Salzburg airport to say this hotel or close by) would be £100, considering it's about 2.5miles that seemed obsene to me?! Would we be able to just get a taxi from the airport for say EUR 20 or something?

Thanks once again, I think we're back on track to visit again (which is just as well since this time next week we'll be there all being well!)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

For your last point, Salzburg airport is close to the city so a taxi would not be expensive. There is also a local bus service that serves the airport.

Zell am See is a pleasant little town. There is also a narrow gauge railway from there up the nearby valley.

If you are thinking about day trips by train then look at the Einfach-raus day ticket

oebb.at/en/…index.jsp

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

Sorry Liz. The Untersberg cable car is closed for maintenance: April 8 - 19 and October 28 - December 13.

Cable car in St Gilgen (zwölferhorn Seilbahn)

Open from the 22nd November. Takes you up for amazing views of Lake Wolfgang on a clear day. Couple of nice huts to eat at.

It's a great time to visit. Snow is falling in the mountains all the advent markets are opening

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

Bus 150 Don't panic it's simples.

It departs from the main bus station which is next to the main railway station.

It also stops at the Mirabellplatz. There are other stops in between. I can assist further once you know where you are staying.

Runs all the way to Bad Ischl. Stops on the way in Fuschl (Pretty lake) then St Gilgen and Strobl on Lake Wolfgang.

Timetable

www.svv-info.at/en/timetables/trip-planner/

Click on timetable book page (right side) and enter 150 hit submit twice and you get a link to a Timetable PDF file.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

The location for the Hotel you found is not bad. Short walk to the train/bus station for trips out.

20 Minute walk to the Old town via the famous Mirabel Gardens. You would pass one of the advent markets on the way.

Not far from an area with lots of places to eat.

So if you don't mind the walk into the old town it's fine.

For the old town itself have a look at

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190441-d2355…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190441-d2271…

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eleventh Hour Concerns

@railenthusiast - Thanks for confirming that. Do you think our total lack of German will be an issue here or will we get away with a print out of the hotel address? - I thought £100 for what's a 2.5 mile journey sounded a bit ott!

Thanks for the tip about tickets, we are thinking about day trips by train - we like the idea of a chilled rail journey through nice villages and mountains, sounds very relaxing!

@Staff_Austria - I thought it was shut from what I could see :( Oh well, at least there's others to try! Cable car in St Gilgen (zwölferhorn Seilbahn) it is, that looks great.

Thanks for the timetable link, I've done that, does "01

ab 01.05. bis 27.10.2013 F nur an schulfreien Tagen S nur an Schultagen" have any significance for me? I guess I'm worried it implies it stops on 27th October?!

We're trying to avoid walking too much where possible really , however, choice is fairly limited on the BA site I've found, about 10-14 hotels with some sounding less than nice!