We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Salzburg

San Francisco
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Salzburg

I am planning a trip to Austria which includes the following:

June 1 - Arrive at Salzburg at noon, see sights in Salzburg

June 2 - Rent a car for 3 days, day trip to Hallstatt and salt mine

June 3 - Day trip to Dachstein Cable Car & Caves

June 4 - Day trip to Berchtesgaden, return car in the evening

June 5 - see sights in Salzburg

June 6 - Train to Munich

Should I stay a night in Hallstatt and then drive to Dachstein? I have heard that the cable car to Dachstein leaves from Obertraun but the official Dachstein website shows the entry at Ramsau/Schladming (the other side of the mountain).

Thank you in advance.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,441 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Salzburg

I posted info on your other post.

but as hallstatt is small and will not take up too much time, may I suggest that you spend some time on the wolfgangsee on the way to hallstatt. you can take ferry trip to st wolfgang, possibly going up the cog railway or else the gondola lift in st gilgen. hallstatt is NOT a full day trip. in fact, you could do the ice caves and hallstatt in one day.

if you do stay at obertraun to do the ice caves in the morning and early afternoon, may I suggest that you pay a visit into the spa town of bad ischl as it is on the way back to Salzburg.

I almost forgot, if you are doing a full day in hallstatt, there is a funicular there with a salt mine at the top. something else that is worth a visit.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Salzburg

You can get to Schladming and back to Salzburg quite easily by autobahn. I don't think you'd really need to stay in Hallstatt. But if you did decide to do that I recommend a trip up to see the Five Fingers:

dachstein-salzkammergut.com/en/…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Salzburg

Thank you for the suggestions, Nakagoli and LizR. I am definitely planning on visiting Hallstatt and the salt mine on June 1. Three more question:

1. Is it possible to fit in the five fingers on the same day too?

2. Are the Stairway to Nothingness and the glass-bottomed Glacier Skywalk accessible from the Obertraun side or the Schladming side?

3. Is Berchtesgaden worth seeing or more of the same scenery?

Thank you in advance.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Salzburg

2. Obertraun cable car = ice cave & 5 fingers.

Ramsau other side of mountain everything else.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,441 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Salzburg

skywalk etc are inaccessible from hallstatt side of massif, which is where I believe that you are conscentrating on. if you wanted skywalk, that would be a further day outing. but the five fingers is probably more spectacular and also has a glass floor on one of the fingers.

hallstatt, , salt mine, ice caves and five fingers would be practically impossible to do in one day!

Berchtesgaden is a very scenic area too, and has a salt mine, and of course eagles nest. well worth a visit

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Salzburg

If you're struggling for time I'd miss out Berchtesgaden. The town is tiny and could be seen in half an hour.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Salzburg

Hi,

We did the Dachstein cable car trip from Ramsau am Dachstein yesterday. Amazing scenery! Instead of a night in Hallstatt, stay in Ramsau am Dachstein. It's crazy beautiful! We just stayed at the Pension Haus Maria in Ramsau and loved it. Wonderful owners (Alistair and Denise, they speak English), nice breakfast and outstanding panorama alp views. If you're looking for high alpine peaks, you won't be disappointed.

www.pensionhausmaria.com

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,441 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Salzburg

the problem is that it is in a totally different area to which poster wants to visit!

but I would say that the hallstatt, obertraun area is streets ahead of ramsau, both in heritage, things to do and scenery.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Salzburg

The poster asked about the Dachstein skywalk, etc. and mentioned Schladming. With a car this is not that far from Salzburg. As for scenery, it's a matter of opinion. My opinion, it's very hard to beat the Ramsau am Dachstein plateau and Dachstein cable car trip for alpine scenery.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Salzburg

Thank you all for your insights. It's a lot clearer to me now. Your responses are very much appreciated.