We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental vs Public Transport in Salzburg area

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental vs Public Transport in Salzburg area

We are a group of 4 adults and will be spending 1 week in Salzburg in March 2014. We are staying in Sankt Johann im Pongau. What is the best way to get to S. Johann Pongau from Salzburg airport and what would be the cost.

I would appreciate some advice on using public transport vs renting a car to visit Salzburg and surrounding areas.We plan to spend 2-3 days in SJ Pongau and then spend the remaining 4-5days touring Salzburg and surrounding areas.My concern and worry is whether it will be difficult looking for parking.

The hotel in S.J. Pongau has parking facilities and i was thinking of using a car to get to somewhere central in Salzburg where i could park and then use public transport.Is that possible?

How difficult will it be to use a car to visit surrounding areas for day trips or is it better to use public transport? Since we are a group of 4 i thought it will be more economical for us to rent a car but i could be wrong,Will definitely appreciate advice on this.

Thank you.

Regards

dave

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental vs Public Transport in Salzburg area

As you are a party of 4 persons, a rental car would make sense! When you go to Salzburg City, you can still opt for public transport. For day trips in the area a car would be beneficial!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental vs Public Transport in Salzburg area

The parking in Salzburg Aldstadt parking garage costs 18 EU per day.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,238 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental vs Public Transport in Salzburg area

parking is not too expensive as if you are purchasing something in the old town, you can get a couple of hours free by having your receipt noted!

but to the op. a rental car gives you fantastic freedom to travel around the salzkammergut area, where bus service is minimal. and you can make your own choice of where to go without worrying if there are connecting buses, etc. for instance, if you wanted to visit hallstatt, you would need three buses and two or more hours each way, but with car, it would be about 75 mins.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental vs Public Transport in Salzburg area

"bus service is minimal"

Not true and stated by somebody who never uses public transport.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,238 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental vs Public Transport in Salzburg area

one bus every hour from Salzburg to wolfgangsee. one bus per day between st gilgen and mondsee. not sure if there is a bus around attersee though I don't think that there is). that takes up a lot of your time and does not allow you to visit out- of -the-way places. that is why I fully endorse renting a car.

and I DID use public transport initially, and provided you were not in a hurry, it is fine. but then couldn't find a way to get to eugendorf from st gilgen, apart from going back into Salzburg and getting another bus out. a journey of 35 miles for only actually going 7 miles!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental vs Public Transport in Salzburg area

I regularly do both--- but with limited time and 4 to share the cost the car is the way to go. Salzburg has a very good Park and Ride system too. Public transport is excellent but you do need time and preferably a little knowledge of the area. Cost wise the bus is cheaper if there are 2 of you but not for 4 and there are so many lovely places to explore which don't have much of a bus service.

If you pick up a car at Salzburg airport it's a straight 40 mins down the autobahn to Sankt Johann

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental vs Public Transport in Salzburg area

Thank you for your responses.Using the Park and Ride system in Salzburg and driving to surrounding areas seems to be the way to go.

Is there any particular day trip from salburg that may NOT be advisable to drive to but instead use public transport for any particular reasons?? We will be going to Munich for a day and plan to use the Bayern Ticket for that .

8. Re: Car Rental vs Public Transport in Salzburg area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 06:18