We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg - Sight, Lake, Towns

Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Salzburg - Sight, Lake, Towns

Hi, need some advices

With 3 (28-31 Dec) nights in Salzburg, I intend to do 3 things:

- go to somewhere with nice magnificent view of Austria and probably the borders

- village by the lakes

- rustic towns with Christmas charm

We should reach Salzburg in noon, and thinking of doing:

Day 1: a afternoon city walk to explore the area including supermarket if any > get Salzburg card in the evening and visit museums.

Day 2: to visit Untersberg early in the morning, get off in the noon > visit a rustic village/town.

Day 3: to visit a lake village > evening walk in salzburg city

a) I read that Untersberg is top 2 place to visit and the ride up to train ride to Schafbergbahn is great but expensive. Does Salzburg card covers Schafbergbahn train ticket? Which would you recommend?

b) Between Salzburg Lake District and Salzkammergut, which is more accessible without a car? Is exploration via walking or public bus possible? Can we do without signing up a package?

c) I read that Salzburg city is best explored by foot. Is 1 afternoon + 2 evening too much to complete a salzburg city walk?

d) Which rustic village would you recommend?

e) Thinking of stretching the penny and get the salzburg card on Day 1 Evening so that i could visit museum or galleries at night + whole of day 2 trip + day 3 trip till late afternoon. Do you think it's possible since it's a 48 hrs block.

f) are museums opened at night?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg - Sight, Lake, Towns

Schafbergbahn

Timetable finishes 22 December which is the last day of the advent markets. Shows a resumption date of 19th April 2014. So looks like it's closed when you visit. It's not covered by the Salzburg card.

Day 3 you could catch the 150 bus to St Gilgen and go up the Zwölferhorn cable car. It's not covered by the Salzburg card.

Salzkammergut/Lake District.

You can reach Lake Fuschl and Lake Wolfgang using the 150 bus.

Also consider visiting Bad Ischl which is the end stop on the 150 bus.

Salzburg old town can easily be explored on foot and you only really need a day unless you want to visit all the museums. A day is enough to see the fortress, cathedral etc.

Salzburg card is only good value if you buy the 2 day card. You need to check what you want to do and the cost to enter. Then work out if it's good value for you. Also check opening times as a lot is closed in the evenings.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,007 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg - Sight, Lake, Towns

I visited stunning Lake Fuschi and Wolfgang on my recent trip. Also purchased the two day Salzburg card which was excellent value for money. Have a look at my trip report and photos for further information:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190441-i391-k70…

Have a great trip!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg - Sight, Lake, Towns

just a note to say that st gilgen, strobl and st wolfgang all have new year markets from 26 dec to 31 dec. slightly smaller than the christmas , but well worth a visit.

Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg - Sight, Lake, Towns

That's great info.

Any traditional celebration for new year at Salzburg or Munich or Berchtesgaden?

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg - Sight, Lake, Towns

salzburg.info/en/…new_years_eve_in_salzburg

Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg - Sight, Lake, Towns

I'm back from the trip. Though it was foggy and couldn't see much at St Gilgen and Untersberg, we still enjoyed Salzburg! Thanks for the advices.

7. Re: Salzburg - Sight, Lake, Towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 07:18