We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Vienna to Salzburg

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Train from Vienna to Salzburg

We are planning a train ride from Vienna to Salzburg and are wondering whether it's worth splashing out on 1st class tickets. Does anybody if there are significant difference between the 2 classes? I recall seeing somewhere that there are 1st class compartments with panorama windows. Is this applicable to all trains? And if it is worthwhile? Is the journey from Vienna to Salzburg scenic?

I understand that there is no charge for children under 4. If that's the case, does the child get to have a seat too, or do they need to share it with the parent?

Many thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,344 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Vienna to Salzburg

>We are planning a train ride from Vienna to Salzburg and are wondering whether it's worth splashing out on 1st class tickets. Does anybody if there are significant difference between the 2 classes?

Not really. Somewhat wider seats and somewhat more foot space.

I recall seeing somewhere that there are 1st class compartments with panorama windows. Is this applicable to all trains?

No, there are only a few waggons with panorama windows and they are mostly running on typical scenic touristy lines. Not on the mainlines.

>And if it is worthwhile? Is the journey from Vienna to Salzburg scenic?

Not really, again. Some views into the foorhillsof the Alps in the distance, but nothing dramatic.

>I understand that there is no charge for children under 4. If that's the case, does the child get to have a seat too, or do they need to share it with the parent?

Seats have nothing to do with tickets. If you reserve seats you can reserve them for as many persons as you like. If you don't, you occupy the seats you need as long as they are not reserved for somebody else.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Vienna to Salzburg

Hi altamiro

Thank you so much for your helpful information. In this case, I think we will stick with 2nd class tickets.

Thanks again.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Vienna to Salzburg

2nd class is definately the best way to go as the difference between 1st and 2nd class is not that much. Some more space and on many trains seats made of leather instead of fabric.

2nd class two adults Vienna to Salzburg is € 76,90. Buy your tickets from the ticket machines (dialog in English) or from the ticket counter. Both accept cash, credit cards and Maestro. No need to buy or book in advance, EVERYBODY just gets to the station and buys the ticket there, nobody does reserve seats. So save the money for seat reservations. Better be at the station some time in advance, then you can choose the seats you want.

There are open coaches (like this: http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/at/car/IC-EC/Bmpz/20-94/IMG_8362.jpg) or compartmen coaches (like this: railfaneurope.net/pix/…Bmz21-71_i.jpg or http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/at/car/IC-EC/Bmz/interior/Bmz03.jpg)

Better take the faster EC, OEC or ICE-trains instead of the ICs. They all cost the same.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Vienna to Salzburg

and for timetables, have a look at: http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Vienna to Salzburg

Thanks so much RobbiAUSTRIA. Your pointers are definitely helpful.

Just to get an idea, would you say getting to the station 1/2 hour to 45 mins before train departure for ticket purchase and seat selection is sufficient? Or should I buffer for more time?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Vienna to Salzburg

Sorry - one more question. Are there savings with buying Return? I don't seem to be see that in the Oebb web site. Many thanks.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Vienna to Salzburg

A quarter hour should be sufficient! Wien Westbf. is not that large... don't worry. Be there half an hour before departure, that's definately enough.

There is no reduction on return tickets. The ticket I mentioned is called "1-Plus-Ticket" and valid for adults travelling together. It will be issued without asking at the ticket counter or ticket machines.

It's slightly cheaper. The ÖBB-website only shows the fare for one person...

Wien Westbf. - Salzburg Hbf. is

€ 42,80 for one adult

€ 76,90 for two adults

€ 103,60 for three adults

€ 121,80 for four adults

... oneway, 2nd class.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Vienna to Salzburg

Thanks so much RobbiAUSTRIA.

Your info helps a lot and takes the stress and uncertainty out for us in a foreign country. In fact, we are on the way out to airport now. Soooo looking to seeing Salzburg and Vienna!!

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Vienna to Salzburg

We just came back from Europe and took the train from Vienna to Salzburg. We purchased our 2nd class tickets at the Westbahn Hauf train station in Vienna. We showed up purchased our tickets and waited an hour before our train left. We just missed a train and they run every hour. We boarded the train as soon as it arrived at the station so we could get our choice of compartments. There are 6 seats to a compartment 3 on each side facing each other. You can see out of both sides of the train. The scenery is okay from Vienna to Salzburg but is best from Salzburg to Innsbruck. I traveled with my husband and son and got a compartment to ourselves. It's about a 3 hour ride. If you can take some snacks and something to drink on the train with you. They have a person with a cart that goes around but not much to offer. When you get out of the train station in Salzburg go left to get to the old city. We ended up walking around a while until we could get our bearings. We didn't have a map of Salzburg until we got to our hotel so it made it difficult. Try to get a map from the train station, if you can. Have a great time. Salzburg is my favorite city.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Vienna to Salzburg

I agreee about the food cart. To my surprise, the coffee on this train was the worst of our visit.