We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-purchase train tickets Salzburg to Hallstatt?

Michigan
Level Contributor
459 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-purchase train tickets Salzburg to Hallstatt?

We will be traveling throughout Europe in early April and for our "long haul" train travel, I'm pre-purchasing our tickets to take advance of the lower rates.

While in Salzburg, we want to visit Hallstatt and I've read through the "how do I get to Hallstatt" thread - very informative!

My question is this: on this local train route, should we pre-purchase these tickets or is the price the same whether I purchase them now or wait till we're there? We'll be buying a round trip ticket, but I don't want to lock into our return time since I don't know how much time we'll spend in Hallstatt.

Julie

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-purchase train tickets Salzburg to Hallstatt?

There are different options to choose from as the journey can be done by both bus and train. The prettiest and usually quicket is the 150 bus from Salzburg to Bad Ischl train station then either change buses for Hallstatt or,even better take the train and boat to Hallstatt. The train journey has to be completed by boat as the village is on the other side of the lake. Boat ticket is purchased on the boat itself. I'd wait until the day of travel and decide then.

Michigan
Level Contributor
459 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-purchase train tickets Salzburg to Hallstatt?

roefamilyuk - thank you! How are the bus rides in Europe? We were originally thinking train all the way to Hallstatt simply because our bus system here in the US is not the preferred mode of travel. My only experience on a European bus was down the Amalfi Coast in Italy in the summer - overcrowded and super hot.

Either way, it sounds like the cost of train travel doesn't increase dramatically on the day of departure?

Looking forward very much to the boat ride across the lake :-)

Julie

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-purchase train tickets Salzburg to Hallstatt?

I would go for the bus/train/ferry option detailed on the guide. Just check the weather forecast before you set off.

The buses are all brand new with displays showing the stops.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-purchase train tickets Salzburg to Hallstatt?

I would also go for the bus+train combo as the ride is just nicer! Buses are used by regular people, not just the poorest.

Michigan
Level Contributor
459 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-purchase train tickets Salzburg to Hallstatt?

Thank you all! I'll be sure to report back on our trip.

Julie

6. Re: Pre-purchase train tickets Salzburg to Hallstatt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:20