We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I trying to do too much during a day trip from Munich?

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
920 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Am I trying to do too much during a day trip from Munich?

My son and I are spending five nights in the Munich at the end of a two and half week holiday in Europe (London, Bayeux and Paris before Munich).

We would like to visit Salzburg for a day as part of our stay in Munich. Wanting to use the Bayern ticket and to spend as much time as possible, it seems that our best day for the trip is Saturday 12 July. We would take an early morning train (say 7:30 or so from Munich) and return at night, on a train at 21:00 or later). Sunday 13 July is our last day in Munich and we plan an easy day, with watching the World Cup Final being our only "must do" on that day. We will fly back to the US on Monday 14 July.

We enjoy views from high above and getting up in the mountains.

Would doing the following be too much to do in one day?

1. Visit Untersburg - take the cable car to the summit and briefly explore - we understand the need to bring warmer clothing than we will need the rest of the day.

2. Visit Hohensalzburg Fortress - again we are suckers for the view. :)

3. Walk through Dom du Salzburg - we like to see churches.

4. Simply wonder through Old town and absorb the atmosphere

I appreciate your input

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I trying to do too much during a day trip from Munich?

Hi,

Never visited the Untersburg, but I can't see why you couldn't do the rest in a full day. Salzburg's old town is pretty compact and easy to see walking around. It's our favorite old town and well worth visiting.

Paul

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I trying to do too much during a day trip from Munich?

Seeing the fortress and other sights in the old town will be easy as the old town is tiny and everything is within easy walking distance. The bus (No. 25) will take about half an hour to get you to the cable car station and then it's about 15 minutes to the top. Yes, the views are fabulous but only go up if the weather is clear. You can see the summit from the city (especially from the back of the fortress) so if you can see it you know it's clear. Otherwise you could go all that way and spend your time in a cloud. So to summarise I'd make the decision on the day about going to the Untersberg.

The fortress is a must see with views over the city one way and towards the alps from the southern battlements.

Of course if you could overnight in Salzburg it would make it all much easier.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
355 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I trying to do too much during a day trip from Munich?

Hi yusindy, your plans are easily achieved in a one day trip from Munich. As LizR indicates all sites are close together and catching the bus out to Untersberg is also very easy. You will have ample time to wander around the old town and enjoy the atmosphere.

Enjoy Salzburg is a beautiful place to visit.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
920 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I trying to do too much during a day trip from Munich?

Thanks for the feedback. My son and I were doing some planning today. Liz is persuasive. We are going to strongly consider spend a night or two in Salzburg - head straight there from Paris and have the rest of our travel day and a full day the next day in Salzburg before heading to Munich. That will be our project for the next few weeks - which probably means more questions from me on the Salzburg forum. :)

5. Re: Am I trying to do too much during a day trip from Munich?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:21