We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days In Salzburg : Help & Comments

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 Days In Salzburg : Help & Comments

We are 4 adults in a family arriving Salzburg on March 1st.We are staying at Sankt Johann im Pongau.It is our1st trip to Austria and hopefully our 1st encounter with snow!

Our itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - arrive SJ Pongau 6pm by renting car from Salzburg airport.

Day2 - Visit and explore around St Johann .Hopefully experience a nearby ski area if any but only as a spectator.

Day 3 - Day trip to Hallstatt and Salzkammergut area.Been reading extensively in this forum on trips to this area and have a fair idea.Would like to see St. Gilgen,St Wolfgang and ? Bad Ischl.

Would like some advice on the route to take from St Johann so that we can cover as much ground as possible as well as be able to enjoy the scenery with a leisurely drive.

Day4 - Day trip to Munich using Bayern ticket.Main destination will be Dachau.Any other suggestions to visit in Munich that we may be able to manage in the limited time.

Day5- Day trip to Berchtesgarden, Konigsee and take cable car up Jenner.Again would appreciate some advice on route to take etc.Should we also try to do Zell am see.Will that be possible? Will it be more or less the same kind of scenery and experience?

Day6 & 7 - Use Salzburg card to see Salzburg and Unttersburg including going up using cable car.

We plan to use the car for day trips and also to journey down from St Johann to Salzburg.Which would be a convenient and cheap place to park the car in Salzburg or outlying area and proceed with public transport?

Any help and suggestions would be most welcome.Hoping for lots of feedback so that our trip can be fine tuned for the best experience.

Regards

Dave

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days In Salzburg : Help & Comments

You seem to have done some research, Did you check the weather conditions in Austria early March?

Could be cold, icy and difficult driving conditions.

Also a lot of attractions will be closed.

Any particular reason for March and not say May?

You seem to be thinking of getting a hire car but not using it every day. Will work out expensive if you don't use it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days In Salzburg : Help & Comments

Hi,

Just a few observations:

For St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang, etc., drive to St. Gilgen and park by the boat dock. There's a TI on the main road that can show you where it is. Take the ship for visiting St. Wolfgang and Strobl. Nice way to spend an afternoon. Coffee, food, etc. can be had on the short cruises between locations. We did this as a day trip from Berchtesgaden in early Dec. 2013. Not sure what the ship schedule would be in March though.

Berchtesgaden, Jennerbahn and Konigsee will be enough for a day. Make a short stop in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden. Zell am See is another 1:30 hour drive from Berchtesgaden. I'd skip it.

Parking in Salzburg: we've parked many times in the Monchsberg parking garage. Very convenient to walk right to the old town from here.

salzburg.info/en/service/infos/underground-c…

Ludwig's Herrenchiemsee Palace is a very worthwhile visit.

Paul

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days In Salzburg : Help & Comments

Boats on St Wolfgang weekends and bank holidays from 22nd March - 13th April. Full timetable starts 17th April.

Which is why I said why early March, Also

Hallstatt Salt Mine Closed

Obertraun Ice cave Closed.

If it's to see snow you can see snow all year round if you go to one of the Glaciers.

I would move the trip until May. Be much nicer driving conditions as well.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days In Salzburg : Help & Comments

2 main reasons for a March visit instead of May/June.The hotel we are staying at is booked thru our Time Share programme and the available dates were not very flexible.Secondly, we were thinking perhaps a winter holiday in Europe would be an experience.

We do realise that many places are closed and it would have been better if those choices were available.Nevertheless we intend to enjoy our stay and make the best of our Winter Experience.

I am indeed worried about driving conditions if it turns out icy.If conditions are ok i will definitely use the car more.I just didnt want to use the car in Salzburg city but will be using it daily to drive down from St Johann.

Thank you guys for the tips and concern.

Regards

Dave

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days In Salzburg : Help & Comments

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions.Will skip Zell Am See and probably spend more time in places you have suggested.Had a look at the Monchsberg parking garage site and will consider it if i dont find anything cheaper- daily 18euros is kinda expensive!

I remember seeing some which were like 5-8euros daily and if bundled with a bus pass( Park & Ride) would cost about 12-15euros.Anybody can help me out here.

Regards

Dave

6. Re: 7 Days In Salzburg : Help & Comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:16