We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

I will be visiting Salzburg in June. I want to see Neuschwanstein Castle and the Eagle's nest which is in Bavaria.

I will not be driving a car, therefore what is the best way to reach these places?

I will have to come back to Salzburg, because I will be going to Vienna from there.

Please advise.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

Eagles Nest/Berchtesgaden Area: bus #840 to Berchtesgaden, then other line up to Eagles Nest

Neuschwanstein: Train via Munich to Füssen: www.bahn.de

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

Personally I think Neuschwanstein castle is a bit ambitious to do in a day from Salzburg, even with a car. Entrance to the castle is strictly timed and you need to get your tickets sorted in advance. Fussen is a busride from the castle too. You'd be doing hours of travelling.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

Thanks for the information. For the Eagle's Nest, you mentioned bus #840 from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden. Which bus is this? Is it the WestBus or any other company? Please explain.

Don't we have a direct train/bus from Salzburg to Neuschwanstein castle or Fussen? Do I have to go to via Munich to get to Füssen? That will take a lot of time. Please advise.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

Neuschwanstein is perched on a crag overlooking the village of Hohenschwangau. The only way to get up there is to walk or take one of the buses that go from the village up to the castle, throughout the day. Hohenschwangau is about two and a half miles from Fussen. So you'd need to get the train from Salzburg to Munich, another train from Munich to Fussen, this site gives details of ways to get from Fussen to Hohenschwangau:

fodors.com/community/europe/getting-from-fus…

If you could stay overnight in the truly gorgeous town of Fussen you'd find it a lot more enjoyable.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

Please google and search for busfahrplan berchtesgaden 840. Or use search function on Trip advisor. Subject covered many times.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

Castle = 4 hours on train via Munich. Not worth it to see a fake castle. Go to Werfen and see a real one. :-)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

Bus service #840 is operated by the Bavarian company RVO. Buses leave from the main train station in Salzburg ("Hauptbahnhof). In order to reach Füssen from Salzburg you need to go through Munich. If you use the trip planner of German Railways DB (www.bahn.de), then you'll see it.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

Staff! How could you?? Neuschwanstein is well worth seeing :-O

9. Re: How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 14:31
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Bavaria from Salzburg?

I doubt that anyone can tell you what route to use. but I suggest you use google earth to try and work out the cities that you want to visit. but you seem to be a little confused. Bavaria is a province, not a city. munich is in Bavaria. but just to see neuschwanstein, going to munich seems to be a bit out of the way. if in Salzburg, you could always go to ludwigs palace on the chiemsee instead