We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagle's Nest and Ice Caves in one day?

Houston
Level Contributor
318 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Eagle's Nest and Ice Caves in one day?

I have not been able to find any information on whether it is possible to visit Eagle's Nest and the Ice Caves at Werfen in one day via public transportation. We are staying in Salzburg. It seems as if it would save time to visit both of these places in one day since they are both south of Salzburg. Can we do this by public transportation? Or is there a tour that would take us to both?

Mentioned in this post
Werfen
Werfen
Salzburg Region, Austria
ToursByLocals
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Panorama Tours
Day Trips, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours
Salzburg Guide Evgeniy Gumennikov
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
B(e) special Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,840 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eagle's Nest and Ice Caves in one day?

You would have to go back to Salzburg in order to continue to Werfen why I wouldn't do both at once. Better spend more time in the Berchtesgaden Area and visit the picturesque Lake Königsee. The rest of the day can be spent in Salzburg. Visit the ice cave another day!

Mentioned in this post
Werfen
Werfen
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eagle's Nest and Ice Caves in one day?

They are not both south of Salzburg and it would be a real rush to do both with public transport in one day.

Houston
Level Contributor
318 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eagle's Nest and Ice Caves in one day?

We will be in Salzburg for two days (3 nights). We may plan to do one of these on each day. Can someone help with suggestions on public travel to get to both of them? Or suggest a great tour? And how long should we allow for each of these trips? Mikey- I like the idea of also seeing Lake Konigsee while seeing Eagles Nest and spending the rest of the day in Salzburg.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,286 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eagle's Nest and Ice Caves in one day?

presumably you are going in the summer months, as eagles nest is not open during winter. as far as know, there are tours from Salzburg that can take you to the eagles nest, and it might be a good idea to check for this. two main tour operators in Salzburg are "bobs tours" and "panorama tours". they can save you time as these tour operators can get entrance priority

Houston
Level Contributor
318 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eagle's Nest and Ice Caves in one day?

Thanks so much, Nakagoli. That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Yes, we will be there during the summer months. I also researched the train schedules, and it looks as if it is an hour to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg. If we decide to take the train, is it far or difficult to get to Eagle's Nest? Should we take a taxi?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,286 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eagle's Nest and Ice Caves in one day?

I would admit that I have only done this tour with an organised outing, or by car, so I don't know much about public transport. however, the station would be in the town itself. and after being delayed by timetables, you then have to get up to obersalzburg by bus. then you have to wait for a further bus to take you up to the teahouse itself. in my opinion, this would waste a lot of time. I looked up bobs tours, and they do a tour. they use small minibuses instead of larger buses, so is not subject to masses of tourists. if I were you, I definitely would go for an all in tour. as regards taxi? taxis tend to be quite expensive so cost could be excessive, and then you would have to arrange another one back again.

incidentally, if you get to Berchtesgaden, you wont find signs pointing to the "eagles nest". locals do not like it being called that. instead you may find signs to "kehlstein", which is the actual name of the mountain.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 10:24
Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eagle's Nest and Ice Caves in one day?

There is an excellent Eagle's Nest tour run by a company in Berchtesgaden. The office is opposite the train and bus station so would be very easy to do. You take bus No. 840 from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden. This will take about thirty-five minutes. Here is the website of the company:

eagles-nest-tours.com/EN/…

8. Re: Eagle's Nest and Ice Caves in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:19