We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

We are planning to stay in Radstadt for a week ( because we have an otherwise useless timeshare) during our vacation to Europe (Late June). We see that there is a train to/from Salzburg (about 90 mins) but we are wondering if we will be better off for sightseeing from our Radstadt base to have a car? We want to go for a day to Hallstatt and also another day to "The eagles nest" at Berchtesgarden. We don't mind using public transport but don't wish to use up all out time trying to get around. You may have other suggestions for what we could see as well. We also assume that there is a supermarket in Radstadt. Thanks in advance.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

My opinion , the auto rental makes travel much more convenient and easier than public transport.

A good amount of time can be saved to be used in sightseeing.

Look to the things by the town of Werfen- this just south of Salzburg and generally on your way to other places.

Fine castle and cave system.

Check here using the search box numerous discussions here lately.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

Supermarket -

Billa a large chain they have a store in Radstadt

www.billa.at

perhaps a spar also

for werfen

Hohenwerfen Castle

www.werfen.at

www.eisriesenwelt.at

Edited: 14 March 2014, 00:34
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,505 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

yes, a car would be almost essential. otherwise travel time to hallstatt and surrounding area will be quite tedious

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

Hi,

We recently visited Radstadt in early Dec. 2013 for the Christmas Markets. The highlight for us was "Der Dachstein" trip from Ramsau am Dachstein, not far from Radstadt.. We stayed in Ramsau am Dachstein, but loved the entire area. Gorgeous alpine scenery. That said, I'd have a car if possible. Even Zell am See and the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse are day trips from Radstadt.

Paul

Edited: 14 March 2014, 11:44
Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

Thank you all for your kind replies - I expect (in hindsight) that it was a "no brainer" really. I will get a car most likely from Munich.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,505 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

just remember, if you are renting in munich, when you cross the border into Austria, you are required to display a vignette, which is a sticker indicating that you have paid a toll for using Austrian motorways. these can be purchased at border, and will cost you 8.50€ for 10 days. only necessary if you are going to use motorways, but I would imagine that you will be.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

Are you flying into Munich and returning from there?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

No - will be arriving in Munich by train. Do i detect a problem or a suggestion?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

I would suggest you carry on to Salzburg by train and collect the car there. Let the train take the strain out of the very busy motorway around Munich. car in Salzburg will automatically have a vignette.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Radstadt. Rent-a-Car or no?

Hi,

I would check prices if thinking about renting/picking up the car in Austria. Germany typically is cheaper than Austria for car rentals. The inexpensive 8.50€ for the Austrian Vignette shouldn't really be a factor. I will mention again: DO NOT drive on a highway in Austria without an Austrian Vignette (toll sticker). Fines are steep! Buy this in Germany after leaving Munich at gas stations, convenience stores, etc. for 8.50€ for a sticker good for 10 consecutive days (the cheapest version of the Vignette). We always buy it on our drive from Munich airport to Austria along the highway at a gas station/rest stop.

For CDW ins. on the rental car, if you have an AmEx card, use the American Express "Premium Car Rental Protection". $24.99 for the entire rental period, not per day. It acts as your primary ins., not secondary as some do. Liability ins. is always incl. with the rental, so you'll only need the "extra" CDW - Collision Damage Waiver".

…americanexpress.com/premium/…

We've used Andy Bestor at www.gemut.com for our last 4 trips to Germany (which incl. Austria and Italy) for our car rentals. Recently we rented a car in Dec. 2013 and were charged an extra fee for "winter tires" on the car. One email from myself to Mr. Bestor and it was refunded in a few weeks. I'd so much rather have Andy Bestor as my "agent" than me trying to get something such as this cleared up myself. I can't imagine it would have taken the 2 minutes, which is what it took me to contact Mr. Bestor, to get my refund on my own. Great customer service and prices.

www.gemut.com

gemut.com/images/…carrentalspecialreport.pdf

The drive from Munich to Radstadt should be about 2:30 to maybe 3 hours. Altenmarkt in Pongau is another cute town close by. We visited here in 12/2013 also. Schladming and especially Ramsau am Dachstein are worth a visit in the area. Yes, we were also here just 3 months ago.

Here's a link for "Der Dachstein" trip:

www.derdachstein.at/dachstein/en/Summer.html

Our friends who own/run the Pension Haus Maria in Ramsau am Dachstein make excellent videos of sights and activities in the entire area:

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/playlist…

Paul

In addition to the supermarkets Billa and Spar, Hofer (named Aldis in Germany) are good stores for a variety of things.