We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

USA
Level Contributor
410 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

My wife and I will be in Austria/Italy for 15 days. We're spending 3 full days in Salzburg. I can't decide how to spend Day 3:

Day 1: Spend the day in Salzburg

Day 2: Ice Cave and Castle at/near Werfen

Day 3: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

I really like all 3; they look pretty, have attractions I'm interested in, and I don't think I can go wrong with any of the three.

Which should I choose? Which is your favorite area?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
St. Wolfgang
St. Wolfgang
Upper Austria, Austria
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

I have not been to St. Wolfgang but of the other two, in my opinion, no question I'd rather go to Hallstatt again than Berchtesgaden.

Maybe the fact that Berchtesgaden had a lot of construction going on and the weather was perfect on the day I went to Hallstatt is swaying my opinion but I thought scenery wise Hallstatt was by far and away nicer. (not to imply Berchtesgaden isn't scenic)

If I remember correctly Berchtesgaden was a lot quicker to get to from Salzberg though. I overnighed in Hallstatt and glad I did. I want to say Hallstatt took me over 2 hours one way but don't quote me on that.

Mentioned in this post
St. Wolfgang
St. Wolfgang
Upper Austria, Austria
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

Hi,

I have been to all three. We spent a day in Hallstatt in 10/06, spent a day in St. Wolfgang in 12/13, and have stayed in the Berchtesgaden area for 18 nights over the course of 5 trips since 2006. Love the Berchtesgaden area, and we never seem run out of things to see and do, incl. easy day trips from here, but I'd probably pick Hallstatt for it's "unique" setting out of the three.

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
St. Wolfgang
St. Wolfgang
Upper Austria, Austria
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,802 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

St. Wolfgang and Hallstatt can both be seen in a day! Take the bus to St. Gilgen, then by ferry to St. Wolfgang, spend some time in St. Wolfgang, eventually take the train up to the peak of Schafberg Mountain), then go by bus to Bad Ischl (train station = final stop), then by train to Hallstatt's train stop across the lake, by ferry to Hallstatt.

Mentioned in this post
St. Wolfgang
St. Wolfgang
Upper Austria, Austria
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

I would only go to Hallstatt if the weather is clear. On a sunny day with only high cloud the views from the village are fantastic. On a dull day with low cloud the whole aspect of this fabulous village is lost. Most of its charm comes from its location, surrounded by mountains. If you can't see them you've gone a very long way and still not seen it's beauty. The village itself is tiny and could be viewed in half an hour, but there are boat trips on the lake, caves up the mountain and a fabulous new viewing platform which juts out over the village way above it.

Mentioned in this post
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,453 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

yes, you can do wolfgangsee and hallstatt in one day, if you are rushing it. on wolfgangsee, you have a ferry from st gilgen to st wolfgang, then the cog railway up the schafberg , but this takes time. when you get to hallstatt, you have a big variety of sights in the area, all that take up some time. saltmine, ice caves, five fingers viewing platform etc etc.

berchtesgaden is nice to visit if you want to visit the eagles nest and to walk around the village. as regards werfen, yes, a lovely castle and ice caves, but if you do the ice caves in hallstatt/obertraun, your visit would only be to the castle. also, remember that berchtsgaden is in that area too, so maybe the castle and eagles nest can be combined?

you don't say when you will be travelling, but if in high summer, there will be queues and delays at all sites. plan your most important wishes first, and least important last. that way, you can maybe drop the least important if you are running out of time.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

Well you can't go wrong with any of these choices. Since you will be in Salzburg, I would stick to the nearby areas of B'gaden, the Konigssee, etc. There are so many things to see in this area it would be a shame to miss them.

Konigssee is gorgeous, a cable lift up the Jenner, a drive on the high alpine road Rossfeldstrasse, the Eagle's Nest, the Salt Mines.......and finally a stop at the Enzianbrennerie for a little schnapps!

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Konigssee
Konigssee
2,293 Reviews
Berchtesgaden, Germany
The Eagle's Nest
The Eagle's Nest
2,037 Reviews
Berchtesgaden, Germany
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

Agree with Emily regarding numerous choices in the Berchtesgaden area.

Remember a salt mine in Hallein .

Hallein is just north of Werfen ( 20+- minutes ? ) towards Salzburg . Driving Salzburg- Werfen perhaps an hour at most depending on your start point in Salzburg.

I like the Berchtesgaden area including the town itself. nice pedestrian zone, shopping and old buildings.

If by Hallein you can take a small roadway towards Durrnberg ( still in Austria and actually the town of the salt mine) then to Oberau in Germany by the Rossfeldstrasse . This is a nice scenic road and saves having to go further north towards Salzburg to find a bigger road to Berchtesgaden

www.salzwelten.at

Note that the Rossfeldstrasse has a small toll but great places to pull off and take photos.

Thus the Konigsee lake, Eagles Nest close to the area you visit by Werfen

Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Austria
Austria
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
The Eagle's Nest
The Eagle's Nest
2,037 Reviews
Berchtesgaden, Germany
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

Hi again,

Just to add to Vertical's and Emily's posts, there are two Sommerrodelbahn's (luge rides) nearby also, one in Durrnberg and the other above Berchtesgaden. We've driven the route, between Hallein and Berchtesgaden which Vertical mentioned, many times. It's very scenic.

www.duerrnberg.at/index.php…

http://www.hochlenzer.de/rodelbahn.html

Perhaps I'm changing my opinion on my previous post? There's a reason we've stayed in the Berchtesgaden area so often. Out of the three you are looking at, there is no "bad" decision.

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
USA
Level Contributor
410 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

All three sound so amazing! Even after hearing from everyone hear I'm still not sure what to do!

We absolutely do want to go to Werfen to see the castle and the largest ice caves there. Would it be too much to leave early for Werfen and the castle/ice caves and then Berchtesgaden in the afternoon? Then day 3 for Hallstatt?

Edited: 16 March 2014, 03:35
Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Hallstatt
Hallstatt
Upper Austria, Austria
Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Wolfgang, Berchtesgaden, or Hallstatt?

I would say that's not too much.......don't forget the falconry show at Werfen!