We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

We are travelling from Budapest to Salzburg on May 16th and our train arrives on Saturday morning May 17th at 3 AM. Any suggestions on where we could go in Salzburg at that time of night? I don't really want to pay for a hotel room when we will only be there a couple hours. Are there some all-night coffee shops or some other public place we could go for a couple hours?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

At this time nothing is opened! I suppose that bakeries won't open before 6am. You will have to wait until dawn, then you could discover awakening Salzburg.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
1,018 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

The bakery "Le Crobag" at the railway station opens at 4:30am but otherwise it would indeed be a great struggle to find things that are open.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

I'd be inclined to stay in the train station. Not because Salzburg is in any way unsafe but because it would be warmer, with places to sit. If there's only an hour before the bakery (mentioned above) opens then that shouldn't be too bad.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

I suppose your reason to take the night train was, as always, to save one night at a hotel and to use the "useless" night hours to get from one place to an other. Nonetheless I'd consider to leave Budapest a few hours earlier on the last daytime train service (RJ 42, dep. 17:10, arr. 22:52) and stay in Salzburg overnight in a hotel room. Logically, this costs more but would also essentially improve your travel quality. You could sleep in a real bed, wake up relaxed making your following exploration of Salzburg much more convenient. Just a thought!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

Actually, our reason for taking the night train from Budapest to Salzburg is because on the MAV-START web site, it was the only entry that came up when I did the search. Perhaps I did something wrong, but I repeated it twice and that was all I got. I think it's already booked and I don't know that I can get a refund.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 16:39
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

Yikes. Sorry to hear. If you've bought their discount fares, I don't believe they are refundable.

At this point, you're going to have to decide whether it's worth sticking to the train schedule. I would find it miserable, but maybe you feel you can soldier on. Remember, you're probably not going to be able to get into your lodging until later in the day. If it were me I'd cut my losses and get a new train ticket. Or else hop off en route at a more reasonable hour - maybe find a hotel in St. Pölten (for example) near the train station with 24-hr desk.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

Gosh that sounds just awful to me! There should have been many more options - where are you going from Salzburg or is that your final destination? Cut your losses and get a ticket for a more human timeframe. How much did you pay?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,788 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

If you buy a €39 return ticket you can use it on any train you like. You can even buy it on the day as they are unlimited in number.

How much did you pay?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

If the ticket isn't refundable, then I'd frankly stick to your original plan. You can still make a room reservation for that night at a place with 24h reception, preferably in the train station's vicinity. That should enable a few hours of real sleep before you start discovering Salzburg.

10. Re: Train arrives at 3:30 AM - where to go at that time of night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 06:15