We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg itinerary Help

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Salzburg itinerary Help

We are a family of 4: 2 adults and 2 kids.

We will be in Salzburg Aug 8, 9 , and 10.

How should we spread our time to do the following:

Explore Salzburg old town and related attractions and sights..

do Utensberg, Mirabelle Palace and Gardens, Salzburg Fortress, Hellbrunn Castle, Salzkammergut Lake area for lake areas activities, Schloss Leopoldskron, Hohensalzburg Fortress, Domplatz & Marienstatue,Salzburg Cathedral

Hallstatt with Salt mines and Ice Caves Activties, Lookout, etc...

Thanks for all your help here to break down our days in Salzburg, Austria

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg itinerary Help

Hi

You don't say if you will have a car. If not then one day Hallstatt, one day Salzkammergut and one day Salzburg. You would have too much on your to do list.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg itinerary Help

Yes we will have a rental car.

Please advise and thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,355 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg itinerary Help

one day to enjoy salzburg. what age are your kids? there is a zoo there beside the hellbrun palace (which has trick water features).

one day for hallstatt, salt mine,ice caves, viewing area, and possibly gosausee near hallstatt.

one day for fuschlsee, wolfgangsee with ferry, cog railway, gondola lift, and possibly a visit to bad ischl (which you also pass on way to hallstatt)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg itinerary Help

Hi Nakagoli.

Kids are 11 & 13 years old.

1) So you are saying 1 day should be enough to visit Salzburg Old town area with its palaces and fortresses and do Utensberg as well, correct? I am assuming that distances to see the Salzburg sites are negligent/walking or will we need our rental car to drive to different places?

2) Also, will it make sense to buy the Salzburg card? Assuming it covers palaces and fortresses.

Please advise and many thanks.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg itinerary Help

The Untersberg is a short distance south of Salzburg and with a car you'll be there in no time. Take good shoes as the paths at the top are rocky. Also, always stick to the paths - very important.

Salzburg old town is very small indeed and so you'll easily walk from sight to sight. Your car will be no use to you in town as everything is short walking distance.

One nice thing to do as the sun goes down is to drive to the top of the Gaisberg mountain. This is the mountain closest to the city (it has a red aerial on top). The views of the town, the mountains and the huge sweep of valleys are wonderful from the top. Your hotel will tell you how to find the road. There's a car park at the top. Remember to take a jacket.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg itinerary Help

Thanks so much LizR.

Will it make sense to get a Salzburg Card for the 4 of us?

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg itinerary Help

If you're going to visit lots of the tourist attractions in the old town (cathedral, fortress, museums, etc) then it might be an idea to get the card. It gives you a free trip on the Untersberg cable car too.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salzburg itinerary Help

You would need to cost up all the things you are planning to do, With a one day card it can be hard to get value for money. It's normally easier to get value from a 2 day card. (If you have two full days)

So I would add up all the entrance fees to places you want to go. See if it makes financial sense.

If it's about the same cost get the card, You can then carry a lot less cash and at some places you get in faster with the card, Don't forget you get free bus travel on most of the bus lines.

www.salzburg.info/en/sights/salzburg_card

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salzburg itinerary Help

I'm not sure if you'll be able to do all of Halstatt in 1 day. I did Rudolfsturum(high point in Halstatt, near the Salt mines) and the caves, that itself took the entire day. But if you have a car and you leave early, you might make it. And do the ferry ride in Halstatt if you have time, it's brilliant.

You can have a look at my page on Austria : …wordpress.com/my-travels-2/…

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salzburg itinerary Help

Thanks everyone!

Edited: 18 May 2014, 10:45