We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Paris to Salzburg

Haynesville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Paris to Salzburg

I want to take a train from Paris to Salzburg in July. Where do I buy the ticket? I have been looking at RailEurope.com, but learned that I can get tickets cheaper buying them direct. Only problem is, I have looked at so many different websites they are all starting to run together and I don't know what my best option is. Help please!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,498 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Paris to Salzburg

www.bahn.de

Haynesville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Paris to Salzburg

Thank you! Would that also be the place to find a train from Salzburg to Zurich?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,498 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Paris to Salzburg

No, you allways need to contract with the railway companies of the countries involved, booking is often only possible with the company in whose network the journey starts. Between the countries of Austria, Germany and Switzerland is less complicated though. www.bahn.de is the website of German Railways DB - in case someone travels from Switzerland to Austria Austrian Railways ÖBB (www.oebb.at/en) or Swiss Railways (www.sbb.ch) are the websites to visit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Paris to Salzburg

You might get more advises from Train travel forum but it is advisable to visit each departure country's website to purchase tickets. Raileurope is ripoff. As other has already mentioned, Deutche Bahn site is comprehensive to make a basic plan.

If you depart from Paris, your start point is French National Railway.

http://www.sncf.com/

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Paris to Salzburg

If you use www.bahn.de/en to book Paris to Salzburg you can (in principle) find 'Spezial' fares from as little as €59. And you simply print your own ticket.

Salzburg to Zurich starts in Austria, so you want to go to AUSTRIAN Railways, www.oebb.at - fares from €29 if you pre-book, again with print-at-home tickets.

Raileurope.com is basically a FRENCH railway subsidiary, it cannot sell these cheap fares, it can generally only sell the more expensive full-flex fares for journeys outside France. It also adds a fee, but the train company sites don't. And it can't generally do print-at-home tickets for countries outside France.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 13:17
6. Re: Train from Paris to Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:15