We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
223 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary

I'm rethinking my itinerary. We are arriving in SALZBURG,from MUNICH and plan on staying 2 nights, then picking up a rental car and heading to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The main thing I'd like to do is see the old town and do the SOM tour. I've done both, but this is mainly for my kids. Now I'm thinking of staying in one of the smaller towns near SALZBURG and venturing in one day for the tour. What town would you stay in? Hallstatt ? Berchtesgaden ? TIA

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

Please do not skip Bad Ischl.

History, scenery, etc. You have it all here, and it is close to other destinations for day-trips.

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

Bad Ischl to Salzburg is just under an hour by car so that would be quite a lot of travelling. Maybe one of the lake towns in Salzkammergut such as St Gilgen, Fuschl am See or St Wolfgang. Hallstatt is glorious but again quite a distance if you're wanting to nip into Salzburg.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

I would stay in Salzburg itself because it is that beautiful and visit Berchtesgaden or Halstatt on separate trips.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

Berchtesgaden is a nice town, just across on the German side. They even have a summer luge there, and you could go up Mt. Jenner or Eagles nest as a day excursion.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 19:05
azle tx
Level Contributor
43 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

Do the Sound of Music bike tour..not the bus tour..it is so much fun! From Salzburg we took the trains to Hallstatt (see Bigboytravel.com for info on the trains- there is a transfer on the trains and then a transfer to a bus to Hallstatt (the train line was being repaired early May- but the bus transfer saved time because we didn't have to wait on the Ferry) I know this sounds complicated but it really was easy because all the transfer times matched up with very little waiting or guessing. Hallstatt was great. We hiked to waterfalls- just ask around to find the trail head- cool village of rock cairns- so be sure to build one yourself. Go the Salt mine tour via the funicular. Thought it would be hokey but it was fun and informative- buy salt at gift shop- cheaper than in town-lol. Take the morning bus over to Five Fingers lookout (AMAZING)and take a tour of an ice cave. Walk the town see the bone house. We stayed at Guest House Simony. You can jump in the lake- they have kayaks- but needed corks to plug the drain holes- so we didn't venture out. Rented an electric boat- a little slow- but got us across the lake for a look at the mansion across the lake. eat fabulous lake trout. We thought this town would be relaxing and slow paced but we never stopped going!

6. Re: Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16