We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions

Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions

Hi all

I'm planning a trip to Salzburg in July for four nights with my Boyfriend and want to know what are the must do,s whilst in the area. We will be hireling a car.

The salt mines and the eagles nest crop up often so I guess these are on the list. We really would like to have a nice drive and enjoy some amazing views.

We haven't booked accommodation yet so we could also spend a few nights outside of Salzburg.

Any suggestions?

V

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,505 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions

when a person asks what they should see in salzburg, i wonder why are they coming to salzburg? surely you have a specific reason to visit the city. are you interested in mozart? are you interested in som?, etc etc.

but personally, i would always suggest staying in the scenic salzkammergut area and then see the city from there. much more peaceful in the countryside.

pleas say what your specific likes are.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Hi Vicky,

Just a few suggestions based on our experiences. We prefer to stay in the Berchtesgaden area for our trips that include Salzburg. The Rossfeld Panorama Road above Berchtesgaden is a very scenic drive. We can recommend these places to stay near Berchtesgaden.

www.mayringerlehen.de

www.friedwiese.de/enska/isl.htm

www.grubenlehen.de/index.html

www.rossfeldpanoramastrasse.de/en/

Riding the luge rides (Sommerrodelbahn) is a lot of fun.

www.hochlenzer.de/rodelbahn.html

www.duerrnberg.at

A nice way to spend a day is to drive to St. Gilgen (since you'll have a car), park take a look around and take a lake ship on the Wolfgangsee and visit St. Wolfgang, Strobl, etc.

Hohenwerfen is also a good trip based in the Berchtsgaden/Salzburg area.

www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/werfen/index.htm

"Mad" King Ludwig's Herrenchiemsee (Neues Schloss) is only an hour away.

herrenchiemsee.de/englisch/n_palace/tour.htm

If you have more than 4 nights, perhaps short stay in the Dachstein area. We loved our stay in Ramsau am Dachstein at the Pension Haus Maria and our trip up to "Der Dachstein" Glacier.

www.pensionhausmaria.com

www.derdachstein.at/dachstein/en/Summer.html

www.youtube.com/watch…

Another suggestion would be Zell am See and include a drive along the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. We can recommend the Pension Alpenrose in Zell am See.

www.pension-alpenrose.at/en/welcome/

www.grossglockner.at/en/

If interested, we have photo's (3 pages) at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Hope this helps get you started.

Paul

Berkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions

My recommendation is to visit the Untersberg mountain on a clear day. The views from the peak are amazing and there is a lovely little café at the top. It is only a short drive from Salzburg City centre. There are numerous places of interest around Salzburg and a visit to the Lake district as previously mentioned is also well worth doing for the beautiful scenery. Enjoy your trip

Edited: 08 June 2014, 07:20
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Some great ideas from pja60 above.

If you are looking for a few days outside Salzburg.

I would recommend using Bad Ischl as a base for a few days. Historic town in the centre of the Lake district.

Cafes, restaurants and you could visit the world famous Kaiservilla.

http://www.kaiservilla.at/index.php/en/

or the famous Zauners

http://www.zauner.at/english/

From Bad Ischl

You could visit Hallstatt (Salt mine and viewing platform), Obertraun(Ice cave and 5 fingers).

Visit Gosausee for stunning scenery and walking.

Visit Lake Wolfgang and villages (Boat trips, cog railway).

Visit Lake Traunsee and villages/towns.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 07:37
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Hi,

I just wanted to add some info about distances/driving times of some places I brought up.

Berchtesgaden to Salzburg about 30 min.

Berchtesgaden to St. Gilgen about 1 hour.

Berchtesgaden to Werfen (Hohenwerfen) about 45 min.

Berchtesgaden to Zell am See about 1:30.

Paul

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Salt mines at Hallein, ice cave at Werfen

Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions

There have been great suggestions above. With a car you can drive up the Gaisberg mountain (the one with the red aerial on top). It's a great place to watch the sunset over the mountains.

8. Re: Itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:17