We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

Austin, Texas
8 posts
Save Topic
Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

Hi! We're driving in from Munich and have only 1 day to tour Salzburg. What restaurants do you recommend for lunch and dinner. What are the best sites to visit (we have two teenage boys)? I am considering the 2 hour Segway tour so we can possible see the Sound of Music sites with them not being too bored in the process. Any thoughts or tips are greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

Some things boys might like:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190441-…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190441-d2…

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

Have a look at these web sites to give you some ideas.

http://www.salzburg.info/en/sights/top10

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g190441-Activi…

www.visit-salzburg.net/sights/main-sights.htm

What kind of food do you like?

Austin, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

We are pretty easy with regards to food. Nothing too unusual but overall, we aren't too picky.

With regards to the attractions, I've read many lists, but I'm looking for a more personal opinion if you had one day there, how would you plan it out (assuming we arrive mid morning and stay throughout the day) because I know we can't do it all! And if it helps, my kids are 15 and 18 (they aren't youngsters).

THANKS!

Edited: 16 June 2014, 05:41
Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

I would take the funicular up (Or walk up) to the Fortress. Have a look around the fortress and then if weather nice walk across the top (Great views) and take the lift down at the modern art museum.

You could visit the Cathedral

You could visit Café Tomaselli for coffee/cake, Austria's oldest Coffee house founded in 1705.

If it's summer and weather nice you could sit outside the kiosk (1860) under the shade of the trees.

Kiosk is the other side of the square to the original coffee house.

http://www.tomaselli.at/en/

Just wander around the old town.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,357 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

going up to the fortress is a great idea, but as for tomasellis? during summer, you would be extremely lucky to get a seat! queues there are attrocious.

but there is a restaurant at the fortress, and if you walk down, the stiegl brewery have a great garden restaurant on the road down, towards the bottom. great views over the city

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

Food

Sorry too many to choose from. Some favourites starting with Cafes.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190441-…

Both of these are the other side of the road from the Mirabellplatz on the way to the railway station.

Vegan/Vegetarian

Healthy fast food

Dare I mention it. If you are in real hurry there is a McDonald's with probably the most expensive McDonald's sign anywhere in the world.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 16:27
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,357 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

i was too late to edit my post. i see that you are looking for a place for dinner (or possibly an alternative to lunch suggestions. you have two teenage boys with you, and a car. why not drive out to hangar 7 at the airport? this is a red bull aircraft and formula 1 museum. there is a cafe there, and a good restaurant where the chef changes every month to a noted chef from somewhere in the world. name of restaurant is "icarus" but tidy (not formal)dress is normally expected.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

"you would be extremely lucky to get a seat! queues there are atrocious."

I guess I must have the knack then. Never had to queue at either the Café or the kiosk.

It must be my positive optimistic outlook on life.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,357 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

yes, it certainly must be! when i was there three weeks ago, we ended up buying bagels in the market and sitting on the statue steps, as we could not get a seat, upstairs, downstairs or at the kiosk. and that was not even high summer!

Austin, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Salzburg in 1 Day - Food and Site Recommendations!

Thank you so much! This has been very helpful! We also decided to do a 2 hour Segway tour so I can see some of the sights and hopefully keep my boys happy at the same time.

I appreciate all of your help!