We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich, Herrenchiemsee Castle & Salzburg, return possible?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Munich, Herrenchiemsee Castle & Salzburg, return possible?

Wondering if I leave Munich early morn, is there time in one day to stop 1 in Prien, (take little train to 15min boat), see Herrenchiemsee Castle ONLY, then 2 return to reboard train to Salzburg for the afternoon/eve?

There I want to see Mozart museum&house, DomQuartier & only if time view from fortress. Return to Munich 9pm-ish train. Is it possible all in one day? I like to move fast rather than to miss something. Its the only way I have time to see both Herrenchiemsee/Salzburg.

Also do you know about the 'residenz concerts' at 3pm? Are they daily? How do I find out exactly what the program may be? Are they in the DomQuartier which means they don't happen on Tues?

thanks so much

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich, Herrenchiemsee Castle & Salzburg, return possible?

I can say that Herenchiemsee will probably need about 3 hours. It's a 15 min. boat ride each way, a 15 to 20 min. walk to the palace each way and a 30 min. tour of the interior. That's a little over 1:30 without seeing the grounds and not waiting for the boat or tour to start.

Figure in the travel time from Munich to Prien, Prien to Salzburg, getting to the old town pedestrian zone, and then back.

One of the best views in Salzburg is from Hohensalzburg.

Paul

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,366 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich, Herrenchiemsee Castle & Salzburg, return possible?

you should decide which is your priority...salzburg or chiemsee. i would imagine that salzburg is by far the most interesting, so i would go there first and then see how your time goes, and if you do have some time spare, stop off at chiemsee on the way back.

3. Re: Munich, Herrenchiemsee Castle & Salzburg, return possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 06:17